Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Love: It's More Than Just a Game For Two

On February 14, 2011, my best effing friend Dana and I had an "I Hate Valentines Day" party. We didn't really hate Valentines day, of course, but my boyfriend and I had just broken up because I found out he was cheating on me and Dana was being pursued by a creepy co-worker who loved feet, so we decided why the H-E-double-hockey-sticks not?

We (I) invited everyone we (I) know. (Dana is not a social butterfly, so I did the inviting and she did the decorations, which I still have hanging on my wall). No one wanted to come to our party because, apparently, nobody hates Valentines Day. We convinced people it would be really great and we would have lots of music, cookies and pure awesomeness.
 

A bunch of friends finally agreed to at least stop by and I was stoked, but as the hours leading up to the party became fewer and fewer, so did the number of people on our party list. Eva and Mavel stopped by briefly before they went out on their real Valentines dates, but when they left, Dana and I said, "Screw it," and drove out to Isla Vista for Woodstocks pizza and beer.

That was three years ago and it still sticks out as one of my favorite Valentines days because I was with my best friend doing best friend things.

Love doesn't always have to be romantic.

I was looking through old photos and letters today and I was blown away by how blessed I am. Throughout my 26 adventurous years, I have made some of the most amazing friends. I have friends who draw me pictures of us as stick figures, friends who send me quotes about determination and tell me how much I inspire them, a mom and dad who constantly remind me how proud they are of me, a sister with whom I share too many inside jokes to remember and friends who write letters that take up 4 or more cards. Some of the letters were from clients and people who took my fitness classes who just saw something that reminded them of me. By the time I had skimmed the top of the box of letters, I felt overwhelmed by their love for me.


Valentines Day is not a bad day, y'all! Many people dread this day. My male co-workers worry about what to really get their wife after she said, "This year, let's not do gifts," but they know she will be upset if he comes home empty-handed.

This year, on February 14, 2014, I challenge you to show someone unexpected that you love them. Don't just focus on those near to you (ie your husband/wife, kids, best friend, significant other, etc), tell your yoga instructor how grateful you are for the way your flexibility has improved, tell your barista you appreciate how he always makes your drink just right, tell your boss you enjoy the work environment he encourages at the office, etc. Go out of your way to make someone else feel loved this Friday. I guarantee, you will gain a pep in your step and a smile on your face.

Oh hey, thanks for reading my blog! I appreciate you taking time out of your day to do that! HAPPY VALENTINES DAY, ALL Y'ALL!!



No comments:

Post a Comment