Friday, August 23, 2013

Smells Like Christmas

"It smells like Christmas," Emily said as she opened the car door and stepped out onto my driveway.

"Ha! Yeah, I guess it does," I chuckled.

"Is that a deer?!" I love that all of my out-of-state friends are always amazed by the deer here. To Central Oregonians, it's no big deal to see a deer, but everyone else is captivated by their presence. My physical therapist who just moved down from Bellingham still stops working, grabs his phone and takes multiple pictures when one walks up to the office window... which is almost every time we meet.

From the office
But this is home now. At least, it's a temporary home away from home. Which is funny, because that was what I thought Santa Barbara was when I moved there for college. Now Santa Barbara feels like my true home while Oregon feels foreign to me, like new territory. I am learning my favorite restaurants, the best spot to grab coffee and read the comics after church, favorite local running spots for when I am able to run again... it has been an exciting process.



I did not think I would be staying here for long. I thought for certain I would be back in Santa Barbara by September, but the doctor told me I needed to remain in the area for 12-18 months so he could meet with me monthly. The news was devastating... confusing. Why did God keep throwing these curveballs in my direction? I was pushing so hard to get home to my friends, clients and jobs, but something kept getting in the way.

The view from my house

So here I am. Living in Oregon. The land of Christmas. I have taken on a new job, which does not require me to run, squat, jump, swim, yell at people, etc. My friendships here have taken off faster than any I ever made in Santa Barbara. It's funny... I find that it is more difficult to find people I connect with, but when I do find someone and we click, we REALLY click. It's fantastic. I have not had one free night in over a month and I just love it.

Early morning sunrise

My old suitemate from college and her husband moved up here a couple of years ago and I've been able to build on that friendship even more. She has played a huge role in my life for the past seven years and I am so grateful to live near her again. Two of my best girlfriends from high school live here and have joined the running club that I started. One of them is Thai. I actually introduced her to her husband back in high school. She has been teaching me how to cook Thai food and I am so blessed by her. The other girl is this phenomenal singer that I used to be in jazz choir with. She is so full of life and joy and I feel refreshed every time I see her.

Tiff and me at Brew Fest

Picnic with Amanda

Making T-Shirts with Thanittha

Tiff!

Tumalo Falls
The new people I get to boss around on the track

I even met someone. Which is a funny story in itself. He is kind, funny, brilliant and he brings a ton of joy into my life.

This new phase in my life was totally unexpected, but I cannot complain. Life is good.



I still hope to return to Santa Barbara after the year here is finished, but I have learned not to make plans. Obviously, I do not control what happens to me!

Cheers to new adventures, fantastic friendships and being close to family again.

Spelunking with Emily, Kaylee, Trevor and Cory

My parents celebrating 29 years together on the Metolius

Shooting chipmunks in our backyard


No comments:

Post a Comment