Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Things To Do When I Get Rich

Last year was by far the best New Years ever... but this was a close second.

Fresh snow, crisp mountain air, incredible friends, deep conversations: These were all included in my three day trip to Lake Tahoe.

View on my morning run. This is where Tucker lives. I hate him.

On New Years morning, I woke up to Tucker asking where my keys were so he could move Sweet Baby Sam (or Sammy, as he refers to "her"). Sleepily, I braved the cold air of the bedroom and threw the flannel blanket off to give him a big hug before he took off for work. I couldn't fall back asleep, but I was too cold to get out from the covers a second time, so I laid huddled in a ball for another half hour before I finally decided to run into town for coffee. Running in the ice is not the easiest thing, but I found if you keep running and don't slow down, your shoes won't slide as much, so it kept me going. When I arrived in town, I got coffee and called Nani to wish her a happy new year. We talked for half an hour as I looked out at the perfect crystal blue lake. I could not have asked for a better way to spend the first half of 2013. Later, Matt and I grabbed bagels and went snowboarding at Alpine. Hardly anyone was out, so I felt like every run I took was fresh and untouched. After boarding, Matt, Tucker and I headed over to South Lake Tahoe for dinner and drinks with Katy, Maria, Ben and Grylls.

SOAR reunion #mostamazingpeopleiknow

As I sat by the fire at Maria's house last night, she told me about their "Things to do when we have $$" list. It included simple things, such as get candles, to more complex things, such as visit Berkley. I began thinking about my bucket list, which includes the following items: Live in Switzerland for at least 3 months, write a novel, pay off my school loans and live simply for one year. Then I thought about the goals Sophie gave me before she left Wyoming: Visit North Carolina, write three beautiful notes of encouragement and leave them inside random books in a bookstore, sing Gold on the Ceiling as loud as you can in an elevator and submit at least one piece of your writing to a newspaper. Most importantly was the goal: Learn how to whistle.

Well, it is 2013, which is an opportunity to set new goals, big and small. I was listening to a worship song on my drive home with the verse, "There may be pain in the night, but joy comes in the morning". I cannot say 2012 was painful, but I can say that 2013 holds the promise of joy. So, here are some of my goals for 2013; some are big, some are small, all are doable. I cannot guarantee that these will all be checked off my list by December 31st of next year, but I can guarantee that I will try my darndest to make these goals become a reality.

1. Save up to visit/move to New Zealand

My Poppy constantly encouraged me to visit New Zealand. I would always tell him I wanted to move to Australia for college and he would say, "Ashlee, I think you should go to New Zealand. Here is a magazine with pictures of New Zealand. You would like it." I think he was right; I would like it. This past weekend at Tucker's, I met a girl named Amanda who is so fun and outgoing. She agreed to move to New Zealand with me. I have talked about this for years and it has yet to happen. At home, I have a bank shaped like a whale and I put all of my spare change into it. So far, I have saved over $300 for New Zealand, but I know I need A LOT MORE before my dream becomes I reality. My goal this year is to never spend spare change and to try to use cash to pay for things more so I can save up to go to NZ.


2. Visit Tahoe at least once more before the season is over

As soon as my board hit the snow, I remembered why I loved snowboarding. Just like running, snowboarding is an individual sport. It's just you and the mountain. There is so much peace found on the mountain. I am constantly challenged physically and mentally and I enjoy that feeling. I want to get back out there to see my friends and to hit the slopes again. Also, I would like to try skiing again.


3. Write notes of encouragement to my friends on a regular basis

Matt mentioned that he admired the way I treat my friendships. He said he could tell my friends were important to me. I'm really glad that is noticeable to other people. It is so important to remind people why they mean so much to you. Admiration shouldn't be reserved for birthdays and holidays; the people who are important to you should be reminded of their worth constantly. I want to do this through beautiful handwritten notes made with love. They will all be handwritten, handcrafted and (if possible) hand-delivered. Sophie will be receiving the very first one. I already have the design in my head.

4. Complete all of the things on Sophie's list

1. Visit North Carolina
2. Write three beautiful notes of encouragement and leave them inside random books in a bookstore
3. Sing Gold on the Ceiling as loud as you can in an elevator
4. Submit at least one piece of my writing to a newspaper
5. Dance in the rain
6. Eat something cooked in bacon grease (this one I don't think I will ever do... Sorry, Sophie- no desire to accomplish this one.)
7. Help an old lady carry groceries to her car
8. Read Wild: Lost and Found on the PCT
9. Take a picture of three different cashiers and send them to her (I have to be in the picture with them)
10. Learn how to whistle

5. Hike the Pacific Crest Trail

I already have friends I want to do this with. It is going to happen. Summer 2013! Grylls, Sabrina, Amanda--> let's go!

6. Live simply for a year

I own a lot of junk. I want to de-junktify my life. I only want to own things I need. If any of you are good at organizing and willing to help me get rid of stuff, please help!!! I only want the necessities.

7. Run every day of the year

Even if it's only for 20 minutes.

8. Draw closer to Christ

Through prayer, meditation, reading, worship, the people I surround myself with, etc. I want to read more books by Francis Chan and I would like to meet with Lisa, Lara and Paige on a more regular basis. A couple of my friend and I have been having a lot of conversations about religion lately and it is causing me to really solidify the reasons why I believe in God and how I want that to affect my lifestyle. I think living more simply will be a result of this as well as a huge challenge.

9. Get more sleep

That is a start.

Thank you to my wonderful friends for a perfect start to 2013.

Matt, thank you for putting up with my quirkiness for three days straight and for driving all the way to Tahoe with me.

Rachael, thank you for staying up so late just to see me and catch up on life.

Tucker, thank you for your amazing hugs and for always being you.

Grylls, thank you for being my best friend; I love you more than the SSS and FTKs love hot cocoa.

Maria, thank you for your sweet spirit and cheery smile. I always feel so encouraged around you.

Katy, thank you for your excellent approach to life. I want to be more like you in so many ways.

I love you all! I hope to see you again soon!




4 pound gnar burger that Tucker, Matt and Dave shared while I ate my salad like a good athlete

Yes, yes, yes, yes- please, Sir, may I have some more?

No comments:

Post a Comment