Thursday, January 10, 2013

Toenails Are For Sissies

It was only 10AM and I had already run 9 miles, gone swimming for an hour and taught a cycle class. Just a typical day in the life of Ashlee.

My workouts have become a little more aggressive and time consuming. Three-four workouts a day on top of my classes. Yesterday on my easy run, my quads and calves could feel the effects of two hard runs prior that week. Sunday afternoon, I ran a timed 5k with Chad. Chad is one of the coolest guys I know and I'm really glad I've gotten to know him more through our workouts. He has such an incredible story and it is amazing what he and his wife are able to accomplish with four kids under the age of four. We met on the track around 3PM, right after I had eaten a giant burrito with Amy (knowing fully well I would feel nauseous during the test). After warming up, Jason had Chad and me line up at the waterfall and off we went. Three miles plus some. No big deal, right? But it was.

I started with a 7:00 mile. No problem. Then I lost everything. There was no digging deeper because there was no dirt left to dig into... it was all cement. All I wanted to do was pull off to the side and vomit. I could feel the amazingly-delicious-at-the-time burrito bouncing around threatening to take its second breath of life. Dig a little deeper when you think you can't dig no more. Okay, Jason Aldeen... I'll try. I checked my watch. I had slowed to an 8:00 pace. Ouch. Chad lapped me. Ouch. Just one more mile. Stay down, lunch. Stay down.

I finished in 23:24. Not so good. I need to shave 6:07 off of that and run another 3.1 miles at that pace if I want to finish first in February.

So, I lost my fifth toenail this week... but it doesn't even look like it because it's so callused. You know you're a runner when... PS you're welcome for the lovely image. 

That night, after work, I went to the pool to swim. I had forgotten that the pool closes early on Sunday, but the lifeguard allowed me to swim for 10:00 before he had to take off for the evening (I had to do a little flirting to get an extra 2:00, of course). 550 meters... better than nothing, I guess

Monday was an easy day and I didn't try to push on any of my workouts.

Rusty gave me some grief for not running with the group last Saturday, so I woke up early Tuesday morning to meet up with them. After warming up for 20:00, he asked me what my 5k time was. I told him 23:24 and he informed me that my warm-up was the same pace as my 5k time. He told me to run 3 sets of 2x400's at 1:48 with 1x800 at 3:37. The first two sets felt fine, but the last set was on my own and it pretty badly. It felt invigorating, but I definitely knew I was getting a good workout.

After cooling down on the track, I taught a cycle class. "Wow," a triathlete in my class said. "I hate cycle classes, but that was so fun! I'm going to come back again!" I finished the workout with 1850 yards in the pool. Halfway through my swim, aqua aerobics began. Something about the older people getting in the water gives it a funny consistency. I'm not joking; honestly, I wish I was. The water is a little thicker and tastes like strong perfume and urine. I forced myself to push through it. Since a class was in session, only one lane was open. A man with a snorkel was enjoying the second half of my lane. Then a third man joined. He was a strong swimmer, so I didn't mind circle swimming too much (one of the things I dislike most about the pool), but when a fourth man joined, the lane seemed a little crowded. With only 300 meters to go, I forced myself to stick around and finish strong, then I rinsed off and headed home.

That evening, I rode my bike to work. The weather was crisp and it was an easy and quick ride. Unfortunately, it is dark when I get off of work. It's not the smartest idea to bike home in the dark, but I wore my reflective gear and a headlamp. During one portion of the ride, I heard something rustling in a nearby bush and I swear I have never peddled so quickly in my life. Of course, I was met by a ditch while going all out speed and that was a little nerve racking, but I caught myself and corrected my wheel, making it home safely. Don't worry, Dad.. I took my knife and pepper spray. I was a good girl.

Wednesday was another busy day workout wise. I woke up late and allowed myself to stay in bed and read Drea's blog while cuddling with Scofield and laughing at texts being exchanged with my new friend Micah. When I finally stretched and leaped across the room over my mess, I threw on a swimsuit and headed out to the pool. Of course, I was dreading getting in the water, so I stopped by Peet's and got a cappuccino instead. I sat outside of the gym for a good 10:00, sipping the warm froth and texting Micah. I tried to give myself a pep talk; You can do this, Ash. There aren't too many people here. Just get it done and you can go home to shower before class. The sooner you start, the sooner you'll finish. 

The lanes were packed, but I found room in the slow lane and eased my way into the water. Let's do this. I warmed up for 350m then started my first 12:00 swim with flippers. At the end, I had traveled 650m. When I came up for a 2:00 break and ten seconds before it was time to begin my second 12:00 without fins, a cute French woman wanted to have a conversation. We spoke for awhile and I finally told her I had to return to my training. After 12:00, I added another 575m to my total. The woman introduced me to her male French friend who I was sharing my lane with. He informed me that I was much too fast to be swimming in the slow lane. I tried to convince him he was wrong, but as I looked around, I realized he was right... I think my swimming skills have slightly matured and I'm ready for the next level. I guess that's a good sign, right?

My skin is super sensitive due to a second degree sunburn I got when I was in high school. When I swim, my goggles always leave a mark and they last until early afternoon... yeah, really attractive. So I wore my awkward goggle eyes to the next gym to teach Power Cycle. There were three new members in class and they all seemed a bit hesitant, but excited to try something new. I made the class a little easier than normal, but by the end, everyone (including myself) was literally drenched in sweat. I swear I work my hardest at that gym even though there is no screen telling me my power output. I left feeling super confident about my abilities as an instructor.

Immediately after cycle, I drove out to my favorite beach for a 4 mile plus easy run.

Later at work, my cousin Jack Coleman came to see me! I ran across to the bike shop and threw my arms around him. "Do you greet all your customers that way," a man asked me. It was so great to have my cousin here! We met up with Amy after work and went to Eureka Burger. I don't know why Amy and I like to eat huge meals before my hard workouts, but we both ordered the fig burger. Jack ordered last; "I'll have the steak salad," he told the waitress. Thanks for making us look bad, Jack.

Jack and Amy came to Pure Awesomeness that evening and it was so great to have them there along with all my other friends. I really love my cousin and it was fun watching him struggle through the workout. Growing up, I always felt like I had to impress my cousins. I never felt quite as cool or rebellious as they were. It made my night when after class, Jack came up to me and said, "Wow. That was amazing! I don't know how you do that. I kept looking at you waiting for you to take a break. Over the past two years, you have really been impressing me." Then he said, "Come here, Cuz," and gave me a big, sweaty, smelly hug. It made me feel so great about myself, my accomplishments and my ability. Plus, this morning when we went out to breakfast, he told me about how sore he was. Hehehe.




So that's it. Boring blog post, but that's about all I have been up to. Training is going really well, I'm still turning the boys down and choosing to run instead (will things ever change?), work is perfect... I can't complain. I saw a chiropractor for my shoulder today and, after a lot of cracking noises, I think he opened me up a bit. I'm going to test that out during my swim later this evening. It felt good during cycle class today though!

No comments:

Post a Comment