Saturday, March 2, 2013

Go Hug a Lane Line

The only thing good about yesterday's swim was knowing I didn't have to do it for another two days. My mood shifted drastically between the hours of 1:30PM and 3:00PM. As I walked out on the pool deck, I noticed a man who is often in the pool and always wants to talk my ear off. I only have X amount of time for this swim. Must ignore. Rude, I know, but I had to get my workout in. Quinn sauntered over my way.

"How's the training going," he started off the way he always begins our typical conversations.

I replied with the same response I always give him: "I don't wanna swim!"

Dragging my feet and feeling super uncomfortable in my bikini, I showered off and sat on the side of the pool, feet dangling in the water. I looked at the woman in my lap lane. She was slow, but she seemed to be enjoying herself. Awkwardly, I pulled my cap on and rinsed out my green goggles. Another day, another swim workout...

I could feel my zappos rubbing at my big toe, tearing through the skin. I took them off and continued the swim. The faster you swim, the sooner you finish and the sooner your "weekend" starts.

Sharing a lap lane with people always bothers me. If I'm not in their way, they're in mine. I hug the right side of my lane, just like I do when I drive. I don't know what it is about me and rights, but I always stay on the border, driving on the edge of the road, bumping into the lane line.  Internally, I celebrated when the woman pulled herself out of the water. The lane was mine! Mwah-ha-haa... A young man got in my lane. Dumb.

He was new to swimming and preferred floating on his back. Multiple times, I would swim right into him, despite the fact I was touching the lane line. So much for a speed workout. "You are fast," he said as I stretched out.

"Oh, not really," I smiled, shyly.

"No, you are a great swimmer. I am new to swimming." You don't say...

This week has been filled with these types of workouts. My swim last Tuesday consisted of four older Mexican gentlemen walking and lounging in the lanes while myself and another man tried to circle swim. What were they doing? I have no idea. I spent an hour dodging the obstacles they presented.

I am getting very irritated with swimming at the pool. Not going to lie, I am getting tired of swimming in general. Never do I look forward to it. But there is a catch... I am loving what is happening to my arms. My times on the Vasa-swim are going down, too. Dang it. Such a catch 22.

That's all I have to say. I hate swimming. The end.



2 comments:

  1. haha yep that is the hard thing about swimming! Those savory characters seem to be at every pool! Newest follower from Amy's blog! I used to swim and really haven't been back to the pool in ages because of these above things you mentioned. In reality, I probably really need to get back to the pool...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Welcome to my blog, Lauren! Yeah, swimming is a pill, but the benefits from swimming (aka great arms, better lung capacity, etc) make up for it... most of the time.

      Delete