Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Unshaved Legs, Messy Hair, No MakeUp and an Open Book

Hello and high-five from me!

A hush falls over the crowd as she teeters on her crutches and begins to fall backwards. This athlete won't let herself fail though. She has to take extra precautions so she doesn't land on her cast (again) and crack it open. All attention must be given to balancing on those crutches.

Tucking her hips forward, she kicks her uninjured leg in front of her body and springs her body in a forward motion. This must be what a three-legged dog feels like.


The life of an injured athlete is far from dull. Creativity definitely comes into play in order to keep oneself from going absolutely insane. Three months ago, after my accident, I caught up on all of my favorite television shows, read some great books and worked on the SBR website. One can only watch so much Hulu and Netflix before driving themselves up the wall. When I turned on an episode of The Babysitter's Club, I knew I was in trouble.


Looking out at the mountains in Central Oregon is driving me crazy with desire! All I want to do is get out on the PCT or climb one of the Sisters. It didn't help when Josh sent me a bunch of YouTube videos showing bad a$$ ultras. I just want to be out on the trails!

Glass half-full outlook: I am realizing how passionate I am about running and being outdoors. Once I am able to get back on my feet, I am going to train smart and kick some booty!

It was inevitable that I was going to gain some weight. For an athlete, even a smidgen of extra fat around the hips seems like a huge setback. Eat healthy, RICE (rest, ice, compress and elevate) and be happy, right? Unfortunately, even with a 1200-calorie-a-day diet, the lack of movement promotes unwanted fat cells. I know I'm not fat, but I was in shape and felt great about my body while working out 7 hours a day. Now I'm a sedentary oompaloomp who stays at home, knits, paints and watching repeat episodes of Prison Break.

When Scofield is not eating my flowers, she likes to keep me company in bed.

Glass half-full outlook: I have been super careful about the foods I use to nourish my body. It's been great because I have realized how much a cup of spinach can hold me over without feeling like I need to add a side of (inset name of empty calorie dish here). When I was training, I loved rewarding myself with frozen yogurt or a handful of dark chocolate chips (and by handful, I mean a bag-full); now, I am totally content eating a few Brazil nuts to satisfy my sweet tooth. I don't think that ever would have happened if I was not forced to cut my caloric load in half.

A typical injured-Ashlee lunch

I truly have learned a lot during this time of unshaved legs and messy hair. The forced time-out on life has given me the opportunity to explore career options and decide what I truly want from life. It's like graduating high school all over again and having the world ahead of me. I can do whatever I want with my life, be whoever I want to be, live wherever I want to live. As long as I keep an optimistic outlook, I know I will benefit from this time of rest.


Hahahaha sorry, Kaylee, but this is so us and I love us

PLUS, I was able to see my best friend, who I haven't seen in 2 years and one of my super close girlfriends from high school who I haven't seen in 8 years. Both of them brought their kiddies, so it was cool to see all they have accomplished since I last saw them! My cousin also came to visit and it was nice to catch up with her. ALSO, SHOUT OUT TO THE BEST COACH EVER. Last Thursday, Jesse Thomas and I were chatting about the training we have been doing since we both had surgery on our legs recently. He was shocked when I told him my coach had me training for two hours on the Vasa. Jesse said he can barely do two consecutive minutes! There is always an upside to having to take a break from lower-body training. Thanks, Jason Smith (aka BEST COACH ON THE PLANET) for making me a bad ass on the Vasa.


Baby James

12 comments:

  1. Your attitude is amazing, Ash! Hope your leg is healing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture. No. Hahahaha. You're doing great, babycakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All out of love, Babooshka... All out of love.

      Delete
  3. How is your leg?I hope you dont have any pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have a lot of pain, but it is doing so much better! My doctor told me I'm a miracle. Thanks for asking, Alex!

      Delete
    2. Did you take the cast off?Hope you feel better soon because you are a very beautiful woman.

      Delete
    3. The cast is off. Yay! Thanks, that's really sweet of you

      Delete
  4. Thank you for answeringI am glad to hear that the cast is off.Take care and continue to smile as you do in the photos because smiling makes you prettier and more lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did you break your leg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't break my leg. I was hit by a car on my bike and my tendon was severed.

      Delete
  6. In the second photo you look gorgeous.Where was this photo taken?

    ReplyDelete