Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Shifting Gears

I had a beautiful breakdown last night. The night sky was dark, the stars barely visible despite the clear, crisp air. Maybe it wasn't a bad day, but it was an off day. Nothing felt right. The night prior, I had an intense, amazing conversation with God. It felt really good and I thought, "This is it. This is the type of relationship for which I have been searching."

But yesterday left me wondering what was wrong. There was no explanation for my lack of energy. Even on my lunch break, I had to drag myself to the gym. Once there, I assumed my endorphins would be given a boost, but every minute on that darn elliptical ticked by like I was waiting for a class to end.

My body is totally worn down and I don't know why. My workouts have been lackluster; when they are finished, I am glad I did them, but the action of running or cycling or Pilates... it all seems like a chore. A necessary evil. Working out has never felt like that for me. Sluggish, lethargic, unmotivated... now that I can use my leg to an extent, what has been holding me back?

I sat in my car, staring at the road ahead and just praying to God. Wow. It felt like he kept pouring all of these words into my heart and I was completely receptive. No, I didn't leave the conversation feeling totally energized. I didn't go out and run without pain today. In fact, the cycle class I took today absolutely sucked and I felt worse than I ever have before. BUT that's okay. It is a call to shift focus from what I want for my life and my selfish reasons for getting fit and active again. It is a call to redirect my attention to my spiritual walk with God.

Sometimes God gives us exactly what we ask for in ways we never expected or ever could have imagined.


No comments:

Post a Comment