Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Back to the Grind

The e-mail arrived sometime last week. I didn't even open it for awhile, not quite sure what it was and undecided as to whether I cared enough to take the time to read it. The first thought that came to mind when I finally did open it up was: Oh, that's cool. But Wisconsin? In August? Eh.

Yes, Wisconsin in August. Why Wisconsin? For the National Age Group Championships. Last September, I won first in my age group at the Scott Tinley long course triathlon. Winning first there landed me an invite to this race in August. If I win top 10% at the race in Wisconsin, I have the opportunity to compete in the 2014 Olympics. Do I really think I'll make it to the Olympics? Not particularly. 

I sent it to my dad and Josh anyway, not really sure why. I guess the fact that I had won first in my age group which merited this invite was something I wanted to share with the people who mattered most to me.

My family got crazy excited. They couldn't understand why I wasn't feeling the same way.

Honestly, I thought I was done with triathlon training. I hate swimming with a passion and I do so much cycling during the week that getting on Fee-Figh was the last thing I wanted to do. Western States 100 mile run... that was going to be my focus... my only focus. Then this e-mail came.

After some hmming and hawing, I hired a professional coach. Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know that I am a triathlon coach and I work for a triathlon coach, but I needed to take it to the next level. Chad and Mark had recommended Jason, so I did my research and set up an appointment.

Long story short, the second I met him, I knew he was the right fit. He reminded me of my old trainer back in Oregon, not only look-wise, but with his mannerisms and the way he carried himself. We have already met to analyze my swim and work on my running technique. Everything is changing.

My run is getting SAH-lowwwwwwwwwwwwww, but definitely more efficient. My calves and midsole are feeling the change in my stride. It is so good to have a coach to know that I am not overdoing the workouts. He is even teaching me the importance of recovery... something I never do.

Back to three plus workouts a day seven days a week. It's on, Wisconsin... oh, it's on.


2 comments: