Saturday, December 1, 2012

Learning When to Say No

Listen to your body whisper and you'll never hear it scream

I can't even count on two hands how many times I have told this quote to people. People who come into the store and don't want to buy Hokas because "they look dorky". People in my classes who are nursing an injury. My clients who are having an off day. I recall even telling all y'all this quote back in March (ish). If I can preach it so religiously, why can't I follow the wisdom it holds and apply it to my own training? Because you are brainwashed and too extreme, Ashlee. Oh. Yeah. 

When I walked into the store today, no customers were in sight. Somehow, Joe and I ended up standing next to the shoes talking about the new Pure line by Brooks that arrived last Thursday. "Are you recovered from last Sunday yet," he asked. 

Why do I love the Brooks PureCadence, you ask? Because they look so dang good on my feet.

"Oh yeah," I responded, adamantly. "I don't get sore."

"What?"

"I know," I said. "It's weird. I taught class that night and all my classes on Monday and I did an 8-mile trail run on Tuesday."

"You taught class that night," his mouth was agape. 

"Yeah," I nodded. "I don't get sore." 

"And you are back to running already? Then you didn't push hard enough."

"Yes, I did," I shot back defensively. "I pushed really hard. I was at a 184-186 heart rate for most of the race. I pushed really hard."

"Hmm..." he thought about it. "And you're not sore?"

Maybe I should have taken this as a sign that I needed to slow down. If my boss, one of my running idols, is shocked that I'm already back to running, maybe I should be recovering? I mean, I never actually did take a day to recover; I jumped straight back into my gnarly workouts. 


Monday morning, I taught cycle at 5:30AM and trained Richard that evening. 

Tuesday, I taught three cycle classes and went for an 8-mile sunrise trail run with my friend Mike. I burned 2,300 calories on Tuesday alone.

Wednesday, I taught two cycle classes, went on a run, took an intense circuit class with Austin and taught Pure Awesomeness. Another 2,100 calories were burned that day. 

Thursday, I taught two cycle classes, went on a 7 mile hill run in the rain and met up with Amanda for my first CrossFit class. That day, I only burned 1,900 calories. At least that's a little more normal....

Yesterday, I taught two cycle classes and a Power Pilates class. Only 955 calories burned. 

Today, I taught Pilates Strength, took one of Austin's circuit classes with Heather and ran 9.5 miles. Okay... it was supposed to be a 17 mile run. I'm not going to lie: I am very disappointed in my run. It rained all afternoon. I had planned to run at 5AM with Lindsay, but we had a work party last night and the one margarita Yumi bought me was enough to leave me with a hangover and 4 hours of sleep. I woke up and texted Lindsay to let her know I would go later in the day, but when I tried to go back to bed, my energy levels were too high. Hey, Shlee! Wake up! It's 5AM... that's late for you! Usually you're up by 4AM. Rise and shine, brown eyes! Meh. The past week, I have averaged 5 hours of sleep per night. My body just won't shut down. Cough cough sign of overtraining cough cough. What? Who just said that?

So, even though I was awake, I was not running. No, I was laying in bed thinking about how I should be running and how I should really clean my room and how I should finish my painting. Coulda woulda shoulda. But Scofield was cuddled up next to my pillow and I just couldn't leave her in my bed looking all adorable alone. So I stayed and checked all the text messages on my phone I have yet to answer. Let's just be honest... I've been slacking lately. I've had no motivation to do anything but run and eat. Cough cough sign of overtraining cough cough. What? Seriously! Who is that?!

Awww Saucony Scofield! (yes, my cat is named after a running shoe and an attractive television character)

When I did gracefully float out of bed (haha. I so did not look graceful), I threw on a tank top, sweatshirt, lulu tights and Toms, pulled my hair back into a ponytail and walked out to my car. It was time to teach Pilates. 

This was by far one of the best classes I've taught. It's not that it was a fantastic class (which, let's be honest, it was), it was the fact that I had seven of my favorite people squeezed in a tiny studio with me. Since the rain was coming down, Pilates in the Park met at Sarah and Fred's house. Sarah's yoga studio is beautiful, but it is by no means large. We puzzle pieced our mats together and began with squat pulses. The entire hour was filled with laughter, Kelly's quirky comments ("I should probably introduce myself since my knee is in your butt; I'm Kelly!") and Roger and Patrick's looks of pain as they realized this class was more difficult than they had thought it would be. P.S. I so want to be just like Kelly when I grow up. She is the cutest, funniest, sweetest woman. Every time I see her I just am so thankful to have her in my life. If you don't know her, you are truly missing out. You should probably come to a Pilates class and meet her. ;)

I had promised Heather I would go to Austin's class with her after Pilates, so we drove over to the gym and walked in the door. "What are you doing here," Judi asked. "Are you teaching?"

"Me? No, Austin is. I'm working out," I responded. She looked a little shocked. "Why?"

"Well, it's your day off. I just am surprised you would come to your workplace to workout."

I get what she is saying. It's hard to work out in a place where everyone knows you and wants to socialize, but Austin gives a great workout and the location is just too convenient to pass up on. Heather and I rowed for 20 minutes, then I settled onto a bike next to Daniel to begin the challenge. Bike my body weight in KJs (which I had done the night prior); climb 1 minute on, 1 minute off marry-go-round style; row, swim and elliptical 2 minutes on, 1 minute off; bike 10% your body weight in KJs followed by 10 sit-ups five times. Finish that workout and you've burned a good 600 calories. Not too shabby. Plus I beat Daniel (who is the strongest man at the gym, in my opinion) on the elliptical and last set of bike drills. 

After work, I decided to do my run in the rain and dark. I walked across to the gym and left my things there then ran seven miles through town and back roads. My left glute started feeling tight, so I had to walk the last mile. It was beginning to get late, too, so I decided to do the second 7-mile set on the elliptical at work. Unfortunately, 2.5 miles into it, I was forced to stop and foam roll my left side. It felt good at first, then it went numb and I felt a tingling in my toes.... that's not a good sign. I got back on the elliptical and began gently. No, this isn't going to happen. Just walk away, Ashlee. Leave while you're ahead. Don't aggravate the injury. But it was too late. I got down into pigeon stretch with my left leg forward and everything on my left side became disengaged. There was no feeling, just numbness. Uhmm... Hmm... Am I going to be able to walk home from here? 

Good news! I am writing from home currently, not the gym. Bad news: My leg is still numb. I called my mom to chitchat. She is not very happy with me. Plus she showed my physical therapist my blog about the race last Sunday and he wasn't too thrilled with my overtraining state either. Hey, Mom and Greg... don't read this blog. Oh, it's too late? Whoops. 

I foresee a lot of icing, cold glutes, foam rolling and pool running in my future. Oh goody!

PS Happy Flannel Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment