Thursday, December 13, 2012

Invincibility Denied

Oh. My. Goodness.

OUCHHHHH! I do not want to get out of bed at 4:45 tomorrow morning. Why not? Well, besides the fact that no one should be awake at that ungodly hour, I am, for the first time in my life, SORE. So sore. Owwwwwww!

So why am I sore? I have no clue!!!

Yesterday, I taught three cycle classes, took a megaformer class at Fit Buddha, rock climbed for an hour, ran 6 miles with 5 100 meter sprints, did 800 lunges... that's nothing though! Just a typical Wednesday... but my quads! I feel like such a whiner! Now I know how you all feel. So much for being invincible. My super powers have faded away and left me defenseless to the evil of sore muscles.
 

This makes me rethink my recent addition of glucose to my recovery drink. Hmm...

Today I only taught two cycle classes, but those felt so hard with my tight glutes.

My favorite class was today. Thursday lunch group, aka "The Dogs". When class started, everyone was gibber jabbering. They sounded like a flock of geese honking at one another. "Hey," I shouted. "Save your conversations for after class!"  "Uhoh," Lydia said. "Today is going to be another tough Thursday class." The woman next to her looked over and muttered, "When is Ashlee's class ever not a tough class?" People laughed and made grunts of agreement.

We got straight into the workout. It was a pyramid climb, mostly in zones 4 and 5. "What zone are we in," Dave asked, as usual. "Zone 4," I responded. "We were just in zone 4," he complained. "Yes," I agreed. "We were." He rolled his eyes and said, "You like zone 4 too much." Then he increased his gear. I tried to explain the flea story Austin told me:

If you catch a flee and put it in a jar and screw a lid on, the flea will just keep jumping up and down, hitting the lid each time. After a couple of weeks, when you take the lid off, the flea will continue to jump only to that height, as if the lid was still on. It has reached its capacity and doesn't know how to push it to the next level. That is why we train higher than 100% ability sometimes; it is crucial in order to continuously grow and become better. You never know what you can do until you try.

After 5 minutes at 95% effort, I gave the class a 1:00 recovery and told them to get excited for 4:00 at 95% effort once again. Audible groans were made. I decided to lighten the mood by telling some of the jokes Simon had tried out on me at Elsie's:

A sandwich walks into a bar and sits down. The bartender says, "I'm sorry; we don't serve food here."

A few pitty chuckles fluttered across the room, but not too many.

A mushroom walks in after the sandwich and sits down. The bartender looks at him and says, "We don't serve your kind here." The mushroom complains, "But I'm a fungi!"

Even fewer people laughed.

A grasshopper walks into the same bar and orders a mojito. The bartender says, "Did you know we have a drink named after you?" The grasshopper looks at him and says, "Really?! You have a drink named Eric?"

People laughed at that one. Pretty hard, too. Then Barney spoke up, "The level of corn in this room is getting awfully high...."

Lastly, a bear walks into the bar and sits down. The bartender comes over to take his order and the bear says, "I'll have a..... a beer." The bartender says, "What's with the big paws?"

Two seconds later (after the joke clicked), people started laughing. "That was actually a really good one," Lorind commented.

Oh man... Thursdays are the best.

Oh, side story: This girl walks into the running store this evening and I fit her with a new pair of Asics Nimbus. We begin talking about which races we are training for when I mention I am running one in San Diego next.

"Oh, I'm from there," the girl (Amy) informs me.

"What part," I ask.

"Del Mar," Amy replies.

"My cousins are from there," I say excitedly.

Okay, I'll cut to the chase... she dated my cousin. How random is that?! So now I have a new friend and a plan to reunite her with my cousin at Christmas! And they are both super excited about it! Aw man, I am such an incredible matchmaker! Everyone I have ever set up has gotten married... Maybe that will be my new super power...
















No comments:

Post a Comment