Saturday, December 22, 2012

Girl Got Swagger

My legs have always been my biggest insecurity. Attached to my big butt are these two stumps and I always have been so aware of their presence. When I was in middle school, I would wear board shorts at the beach to cover up their existence. In high school, I hated wearing shorts because I was worried about what other people would say amongst themselves (because we all know that everyone always talks about me and nothing else...). If I thought so poorly of my stumps, what would the popular girls think? College came and I still was pretty cautious when buying new clothing, especially when I knew my legs would be the focus of the outfit.

This past year, things have been morphing in my mind and body. Grylls told me he loved my legs in Wyoming, so I grew some confidence and began feeling comfortable in my short, pink Anthropologie shorts. Many people told me I had legs for days, so I felt a little bit better about myself, but the legs still were not my favorite part of my body.

A couple of weeks ago, an amazing thing happened. I was walking past the large windows at Whole Foods and I turned my head to check my reflection in the window (don't lie... you do it, too). What met my gaze was a beautiful woman in skin-tight running pants. Dang! She had some great hamstrings! I looked around me, making certain no one was standing next to me wearing the same outfit; I mean, it could have been an honest mistake. Indeed, it was I who had the lovely hamstrings whose strength showed through my running tights. Definition is threatening to take over and make my legs beautiful. My only problem is, I have no idea what produced these results!

Maybe it has something to do with the man who has taken over my body. What?

Allow me to explain. Yes, please do.

Calm down, Daddy.


I have noticed that when I finish a really hard workout, I carry myself like a man would. It's as if I am looking at the world and saying, "Yeah, I just got a great workout and my muscles are ripped. Now show me what you've got. Try to beat me." I was trying to explain this to Richard at the stadiums the other day. I could not find the word to describe what has happened to me. Suddenly, a man at the end of the bleacher turned to face us and he informed me, "You've got swagger."

Girl got swagger. The tall, poised woman in me has escaped. She ran away from the dude who wanted to come in and put some swag to my swing. And this is why I'm single. Well, dude, stay for awhile, but you best believe that graceful, beautiful woman is going to come back soon to take her rightful place back.

Alright, enough about my manly gait, let's talk about the important things in life... according to my coach, today is my rest day. Good thing, because I have a lot of packing to do before I go into work then head down to San Diego with Jameisha. While I pack, I will be listening to my rainy day mix. Want to join in? I knew you would... Here are a couple of songs to dance in your eardrums and resonate in your cochlea.

We shall start with Kings of Convenience and their song I'd Rather Dance With You, simply because I believe they are musical geniuses and this video is adorable.



Next, Feist will entertain you with Mushaboom because I think it's amazing that she can make even the imperfections in her voice sound melodic and unique.



I love, love, love this song by Snow Patrol and Martha Wainwright. It's just so powerful and I like their voices blended together in the chorus.


2 comments:

  1. Girl, you have amazing running legs for suuure! :) Have a safe drive down to San Diego!! Hope to see you down there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lady! I had so much fun with you in San Diego!

      Delete