Thursday, December 6, 2012

These Things I Do Believe

I am convinced that Anthropologie hires elves to do their holiday decorating. Not elves who are short with green slipper and pointy ears. No, Anthro hires the elven people from J.R.R. Tolkein's imagination. I know! They must spend a fortune to get them all the way out to each of their stores, but somehow, someway, the elves come and make Anthropologie a winter wonderland. It is a subdued, yet inspiring combination of cheerful tunes filling the space in your ears, beautiful quilts beckoning you to cuddle up in them with a copy of Little Women and glistening flakes of fake snow frolicking around your feet with each step you take further into the magical kingdom of the store.



I am convinced that coffee can bring peace to the soul if it is made correctly. I know you have heard me preach this before, but it is only because I believe it so adamantly! There are days that I didn't even know I was stressed, but the moment that smooth, rich liquid hits my lips, I sink into a harmonious melody of satisfied mmmms and fulfilled awwwwws and oooo boy! Give me some more's! Every care or worry man has ever had can be cured with a cup of coffee from Handlebar Coffee Roasters. World peace will be achieved once man gives up his evil ways and turns to HCR for joy and contentment.


Lastly, I am convinced that I race because I feel like an effing saint when I finish. One little race and suddenly I am the talk of the town. It doesn't matter what the distance is (1 mile, 6 miles, 26 miles, 50 miles...), people adore me! "Oh my goodness, did you hear what Ashlee did?" "Yes! Isn't she a mad woman?" "Insane. Absolutely insane." "Hey guys," I butt in. "It was only a half Ironman." "Oh my goodness! That's basically a full Ironman!" Okay... whatever you say...

But I love it. I love that Mark and Chad, two of the most macho Ironmen triathletes and marathon runners I know, talk about me when they meet up to train together. These are men I look up to and aspire to compete with and here they are telling their wives how hardcore I am and how much they love my classes. I also love that the guys at the cycle shop congratulate me after brutal races. "I didn't know you were into that type of stuff. You're gnarly!" This from the guy with the backwards cap, thick calves and tattoos? Hey, I'll take it. When people want to know which race they should pursue next, I love that they come to me for advice. These are the things that keep me going. This is why I race. This is where my passion stems from. You can see it in the way my eyes light up when I talk about it. 

So what is next? Now that I have done Red Rock, the most brutal, intense race I have participated in, what do I strive to dominate next? I think it is time to look at the 2013 race calendar and mark my A,B,C priority races. I'm thinking Kona Half-Ironman? Watch out, 2013... I'm coming at you with a vengeance... that is, as long as my leg agrees to pitch in.

No comments:

Post a Comment