Wednesday, June 6, 2012

National Run Day

Good morning, Blogesphere! Or good... uhm... 24.75 hours of me being awake. Yeah... long story. I had to do my food run today for the camp. I drove the 80 miles to Riverton, spent 7 hours shopping in Walmart, finished by getting produce at Smith's then drove 80 miles home. My car was so full of groceries that I couldn't see through any of the windows whatsoever. But I made some friends at Walmart. Lots of people ask questions when you walk around the store with 48 loaves of bread, 22 jars of peanut butter, 60 something cans of beans and more in your cart. And it doesn't help when you have to go through the check out five times.

I didn't make it back to base until almost midnight and my cabin door was locked. I went down to the office to camp out for the night, but the cold hit hard. My sleeping bag was burried under groceries and it was too dark to unload them. Fortunately, I had my laptop in the front seat. I unloaded the 30 dozen eggs and all of the produce that rested on top of my computer then headed inside. Even with the heater on, I couldn't feel my toes. Unable to sleep, I decided to watch television. And I'm still watching.

The sun has risen though and a new day has begun. And you know what today is, folks? That's right, it's National Run Day! In honor of this glorious day, I am going to attempt to motivate you non-runners who follow my blog. What are your reasons for not running? Let me change your mind...


Don't want to run because you don't have enough energy? Guess what?! A quick run can give you a boost of energy! Even just 15 minutes jogging around the parking lot at work, on the sand at the beach or down a back road will boost your mood and increase your endorphins!

Forgot your music and don't want to run without the beat to move your feet to? Why not?! When you run without music, not only do you get to enjoy the sounds of nature, you have a chance to listen to your body. What does your breathing sound like? Is it labored? Do your feet scrape on the ground as you shuffle? Pick up your knees! Is there pain associated with your stride? Tune into the signs your body is giving you instead of zoning out to the music.

Did you forget your running shoes? Haven't you heard of the latest craze? It's called barefoot running. Try it out! Find a park or an area with soft, clean grass or sand. Do some sprints. 20-30 seconds of sprints with 5 minute jogging recoveries should do the trick!

Not in the mood? Get in the mood.

Not motivated? Get motivated! Find a training partner, discover a new running trail, explore a new genre of music to keep you moving (though, as I said earlier, running without music is so much better for you! It's okay to plug in those headphones occasionally, though!).

Is the only thing that could make you run is if someone, or something, was chasing you? Well, get a dog. Or pay someone to run after you! There are always ways...

Knee problems? Weight issues? Hip replacement? Ease into it. Hey, I'm not asking you to run a 100-mile endurance race with me (okay, so maybe I am). Take your time... work your way up. Start slow. Baby steps. Half a mile? A block? Just jog it. Baby steps, baby steps. We all have to start somewhere.  Remember: No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everyone on the couch.

Is there too much going on at work? Do you have a lot on your mind? Well, this is a great opportunity to clear your mind; go for a run! Get some fresh air. Let the thoughts flow through your brain.

Are you worried that if you start running you'll get in really good shape and attract too many people of the opposite sex? Sure, getting honked and whistled at is never wanted, but meeting that cute stranger at the grocery store or getting complimented in the line at the coffee shop is so worth all the whistles.

So what are you waiting for? Go run!

No comments:

Post a Comment