Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Never Sweat

The human body is truly spectacular. As I was running down the trail the other day, I twisted my ankle on a rock and heard a snap. Ouch! It hurt so badly. I walked a little, then jogged the rest of the way. I thought I injured it, but the pain never returned. Think of how many times we roll our ankles, burn our fingers or hit our funny bones without actually getting seriously injured. And even when we break bones and spraign an ankle, we usually come to a full recovery.

Not only are we challenged physically, our emotions are always on a roller coaster track as well. As a cycle instructor, I know all about up/downs. Oh, you guys know what I'm talking about... thirty sconds out of the saddle, thirty seconds seated, repeat 5 times and let's get started with the workout, right? So when I talk about ups and downs, I know what I'm speaking of.

My physical and emotional life has been very roller-coaster-esque as of later. Fortunately, my spiritual life could not be higher. I haven't slept much since I arrived in Wyoming. My body is not used to not working out. Most of my day is spent in the kitchen and when I do have a break, usually there is not enough time to do the workout required of my training schedule. I have gotten a few workouts in though: a trail run here, plyometrics there, a bike ride in Jackson. The swimming has been a problem though.

Let me take you on a tour of my roller coaster life. Hop on in. Buckle your seat belt. Make sure your hands and feet stay inside. Ready?

Last Saturday was the first day of all-staff training. So many new people showed up at camp. More bodies means more hungry tummies. I did my best to keep them all fed; I made pizza, couscous, blueberry muffins, apple pie... I felt pretty successful. Tucker said the pie changed his life, it was that good. I cut up 40 apples for it and laced it with almonds and dates. Matt looked at me as he was walking out of the kitchen door and said, "Ashlee, that pie was (he mouthed the F-word) amazing." Haha. I just laughed and blushed. Margo complimented the crust. I just felt so good about that pie. Margo also told me that Becki told her the couscous was the best meal she has ever had at SOAR. That made me feel pretty accomplished as well.

 
The first morning of staff training, we climbed up the hill to look out at the Wind River, Dubois and the Absoroka Mountain Range. As I passed Matt, I asked him why he was bringing his pack. The hike wasn't far and it was a perfect day. He shrugged his shoulders and I could tell he didn't know why he was bringing it either. I started at the back of the pack and quickly passed everyone. I was the first to reach the top. Jackson made some comment about how I should slow down and Johan looked at him and said, "Ashlee has two modes: Stop and murder." "Stop and Blitzkrieg," Jackson responded.

Oh, Jackson. I should tell you guys a funny story about Jackson. The night Jackson arrived, I was sitting at the table with a bunch of CDs, Tucker, Zito and a few others. I will not name the woman I was sitting next to, but she reads this blog and knows who she is. When Jackson walked up, the individual next to me and I looked up and stared. I'm pretty sure our jaws dropped open. Tall, athletic, slender, blonde hair, blue eyes... he looks similar to Weston. We couldn't take our eyes off of him. "Oh wow," I said. He looked over at the woman and me. "Hi there," he said. "Oh my gosh, he has an accent," I said, a little too loudly. He laughed and another female ran up to him, anxious to help him feel at home. That was hysterical. We laughed so hard and we still do when we talk about that night. He probably does, too, when he thinks about that night. But he's super legit. I love when Tucker, Grillz, Matt and Jackson come visit me in the kitchen. They just brighten the room because they are always so upbeat and helpful.

Three days ago, I went into town to get a pool membership. As I walked into KOA, the gentleman at the counter greeted me with a very straight-to-business manner. I asked about the pool and he told me I would have to purchase an annual pass for $90. Yuck. So I asked if I could check out the pool. It was about 15 yards long and very humid in the building, more like a hotel pool than anything else. I walked back into the main building and asked if it was busy during the summer. When he said the mornings are a little better, but afternoons and evenings are crammed with kids, I became even more hesitant. I asked if I could purchase a day pass just to test it out and see if it fit my training needs. He told me I would have to purchase a camp site for two nights minimum. Yeah, forget that. Instead, I went to the grocery store and asked what the warmest lake was. The man laughed at me. "They are all glacier fed," he said. "They will all be cold." Awesome. Okay, you hit the bottom of the drop. Now we have a small climb: I went on a trail run with Birch down to the warm springs and a hike after dinner with Grillz, Rachael, Zito, Tucker and Mackenzie instead.

Crazy Legs is Tucker's new nickname



Tucker and Zito looking over the edge down, down, down to the warm springs



Tucker, Anne and Matt
Warm Springs with Birch

There is a new couple at camp who I adore. Andrew and Becca are from Florida, but they are doing the Southern California trip. Andrew is a surfer, so I told them they could use my boards when they are in Santa Barbara if they want. Becca is constantly complimenting my music taste since we both like Taking Back Sunday and Slightly Stoopid. They just make me so happy. The other night at dinner, Andrew walked up to me and asked if I ever watch All That on Nickelodeon. Oh wow... such an old show. "Today, when you were introducing yourself, you reminded me of the Ask Ashley skits. You're so peppy." I just laughed. Oh, ask Ashley. Here's a clip:

<object width="960" height="720"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/BB_pCzbZfZE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/BB_pCzbZfZE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="960" height="720" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Yesterday was a really rough day. I woke up tired. Just completely wiped. I got four hours of sleep because I stayed up late cleaning the kitchen and waiting for people to clear out so I could lock up. Then I woke up early so I could make breakfast. I hit the snooze on my alarm a few times before actually getting out of bed and wearily making my way to the kitchen. No one came to the kitchen all morning. Usually Erica will come make coffee or someone will offer to help me make breakfast, but this morning, I was on my own. That was fine. It was more realistic since no one will be helping me once the campers arrive. I made the breakfast and set it out then got started on lunch and packing all the food for 35 people for a three day hiking trip on the Wind River. It took longer than I thought.

At 10:30AM, Josh texted me. "I got into school in Australia," the text read. AH! I called him, ecstatic! "Josh, you got in! I'm so excited for you!" And I was. I am. This has been his dream since I met him. This has been my dream since I was a little girl. And now he is achieving his goals. He is living my dream. I'm happy for him, disappointed in myself for not following my goals, sad that I didn't really say goodbye to him... there really are no words to explain my thoughts on this subject. I am so excited for him. Really, I am. But... Josh is leaving. I cried. Hard. Really, really hard. Then I cried some more while I finished packing the food. As people came up for lunch, I pulled myself together.

After lunch, Jeremy told me I didn't have to be at the campsite until I wanted to and the groups wouldn't be there for another few hours. I decided to take my Giant out on a bike ride. I name my Giant, too. Fee-Foh-Figh-Fum is his name. But you have to say it in the voice a giant would use. I bet Mer would be able to do this well. I can't think of many other people that could get his character just right, but Mer could with her wonderful narrator voice.



Anyway, I was excited to go camping with my group because it has some awesome people: Brock, Tucker, Caroline, Johan, Erica, Becca and Maria. Stoked, right? So I'm following the van down the hill wondering where I should bike ride. They pulled over to the side to get something from Caroline's teepee and I kept going. When I got to the end of the road, I was faced with two options: 1. Turn right and go into Dubois. 2. Turn left and go towards Yellowstone and Jackson. I hesitated. I needed to get away. I thought if I went to Jackson, maybe I could shake away the sadness of Josh leaving. So I turned left. To Jackson I drove. I cried most of the way, my face smeared with wet tears. But the Tetons helped me feel better. I don't think the people in Jackson realize how lucky they are that they get to look up at the Tetons every day.









Jenny Lake

Jenny Lake

Moose!

Moose again!
This was the craziest thing I saw all day, but it happens here... :)



As I got closer to Jackson, lightning filled the sky. Aw man. I really wanted to bike ride. I parked my car and waited a little while. When the sky cleared, I threw on my jersey and hopped on Fee-Foh (that's his nickname). We took off down the path toward Jenny Lake. I rode hard. I forgot how much I love cycling. This was the first time I have been able to go on a bike ride. I missed this. The wind in my hair, the bugs on my teeth, the scenery whipping by... I love this. As I entered the Teton National Park, I could smell animal everywhere. I got a little nervous, but kept biking. This is the life. Seriously, the Tetons are amazing and the weather was perfect. I didn't want to stop, but I knew I needed to get back to meet up with my group and camp.

When I got back into town, I went by the store to get frozen yogurt for the road. Richard called me and we chatted a bit. It was so good to hear his voice. I got to hear from Josh, my mom, Richard and Dana yesterday and it was nice to hear the voices of the people who mean so much to me. Richard told me all about how he is following the training plan I made him. He talked about Scofield and how well her surgery went (yay! My cat is spayed!) and what a happy kitty she is. I really miss home, but I love these mountains as well.

On my way back toward the Wind River, I stopped at Jenny Lake. It was serene and peaceful as the sun set over the Tetons. I don't think I've ever seen a sunset quite like that. Pink flashed across the sky and I just stood there, praising God and thanking Him for reminding me of His goodness, His grace and His faithfulness. He knew exactly what I needed yesterday to help me feel better.

Soon, it was time to get back on the road. I stopped and got out when I saw a group of people looking at some meese in the meadow. A woman from Colorado and I chatted for a bit about wildlife: Meese, bears, elk, etc. Driving home, I just sang loud, enjoyed the sunset and thanked God for turning my day around.

Then I got to Dubois. I drove 40 miles in the dark in the back country and could not find my group. There was no service so I couldn't call anyone. I got lost a few times, discovered new camping spots and drove through areas that probably aren't meant to be driven through. When I got to the place the group was supposed to be, there was a lone truck. I decided to search a little longer, than gave up and went back to camp to sleep. I didn't fall asleep until one in the morning.

This roller coaster has been quite a ride. I'm sorry for the sob story. I guess I just needed to vent. But at least you get to see the beautiful pictures that really do Wyoming no justice. Enjoy them.

The human body really is a mystery. I am so thankful that it can take so many beat downs yet still survive. Keep on keeping on, body.


The background on my cellphone. It keeps me happy.




4 comments:

  1. i love you . and i miss you. I'm cycling a lot right now so that i can be in shape to come train with you in SB when you come back. =)
    im glad your having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo! Sounds like you'll be in better shape then me! 9 mile run? Go girl!

      Delete
  2. OMG I miss you Ashlee! A trip to Wyoming is a must! I'm gonna do all I can... I mean, its only been two weeks and I've already been replaced by a taller, blonder, bluer eyed, more athletic, and my gosh he has an accent, guy.
    NOT ACCEPTABLE!
    hahahahah but to answer your Mother's question... yes, weston can blush and you're making it too easy!

    Anyways, I miss you and love hearing your wild and crazy adventure stories.

    I hope your ankle heals well and... I'm gonna want a slice of that Apple Pie... a small one... I guess I gotta watch my figure if there's another guy involved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, I miss you, too. You had better come soon!

      Delete