Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Houston, We Have a... Breakthrough

Twelve consecutive nights were met by mornings full of new adventures, none of which included a return of my passion for running. It was discouraging; I was forcing myself up trails, kicking up sand in the sunset and trying to remember why I decided spending $120 a pair of racing flats was a good idea. Then Sunday arrived. I woke up late, missing my morning run. When I miss my morning anything, I get a little depressed. Suddenly, fun Ashlee becomes no-motivation, “I’m so fat” Ashlee. Yeah… we all love that Ashlee.

So NMISF Ashlee decided not to give into the dark side and instead to become fun, this-is-my-rest-day Ashlee. When I got to work and was able to cycle for an hour, TIMRD Ashlee became heck-yes-I-just-rode-in-zone-four Ashlee. Instead of going directly home after work that evening, I took my keys and water with me and ran 5 miles. Suddenly, HYIJRIZF Ashlee became twice-a-day-workouts Ashlee. Oooo… we like twice-a-day-workouts Ashlee… not quite as much as we like this-is-my-sixth-workout-of-the-day Ashlee, but more than we like I-have-a-case-of-the-overtrainings Ashlee.

The run consisted of a 15 minute warm-up jog on the dirt. The jog was followed by two sets of three minutes hard, two minutes easy run, which preceded a twelve-minute tempo run and 30-minute walk/jog to end. I found a path I had yet to run on, which always leads to a great running day. As I trail-blazed through overgrown weeds and avoided concealed holes in the path, I thought to myself, “Oh my goodnight nurse! I’m back! I’m in love with running! It’s back! My passion! Yay!”

So I am back, folks. All I needed was a new route.


Monday was my rest day (but does Ashlee ever rest?), so I did a fairly easy cycle class of sprints at 140+ RPMS for :30 with 2-4:30 recoveries for an hour. It was the first cycle class I have ever taught where I was able to leave without being drenched in salty sweat. *Did you know that when your sweat tastes like margaritas it is because you have been drinking too many margaritas? Fortunately, that has never happened to me.

From there, I went directly to my next job to teach Pilates and circuit classes. After which, I took my car in to get repaired, picked up my beautiful new soccer-mom car rental and went to work to sell running shoes. That evening, I taught aqua aerobics and made all the old people swim around in their sweat. They may not think they are sweating in the water, but they are, which is actually incredibly gross when you think about how much of that water I have swallowed. Which reminds me… my toenail totally fell off when I was swimming in that pool… no wonder some people are grossed out by public pools.

Today, I taught cycle for fifty minutes. I love watching people stagger out of class, walking funny from using muscles they forgot they had. My new playlist was fun, too. Maybe a little too pop-esque for my taste, but whatever makes the members happy, right? Not everyone enjoys Avenged Sevenfold and Papa Roach.

I’m going to go look at my course for the upcoming tri. I want to practice transitions. When I ran into Jimmy at Whole Foods last night, he said I wouldn’t need a wetsuit… I want to make sure that is legit before I leave the body-hugging suit at home. But it is already 10:30AM and my bike is still in the shop, so by the time I get up north, the water will probably have warmed up anyway.

It’s time to get serious, folks. Let’s get down and dirty... and drenched in sweat! Oh, it's on. Bring it, long course... Bring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment