Thursday, November 15, 2012

A Good Cup of Coffee and A Warm Flannel

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens...

Really?

Those are your favorite things?

Well... whatever floats your boat.

Wanna know my favorite things?

No?

Well, stop reading then because here comes

THE GREATEST LIST EVER OF ASHLEE'S FAVORITE THINGS (at least for today):

1. Handlebar Coffee

Rain. Shine. Dinner time. No matter what the weather or the time of day, Kim and Aaron will fix you up right with the perfect cup of coffee. It was 11:30 on a Wednesday morning and I had a few hours to kill before my next job, so I do what I always do on Wednesday after cycle class: I walked to Handlebar. Now, let's get a couple of things straight: 1. I am single and I cannot find a good man in my town to date. 2. Handlebar is not that close to my work and I was carrying my laptop with me. 3. French Press just opened up a shop next to my work where all the attractive men in my town like to hang out. Okay, now that we have that all covered, I'll continue my story.

Please notice that the lovely Kim and Aaron are both wearing flannel, which plays into my second favorite thing!
Photo courtesy of google.com.
After teaching an intense cycle class, I changed into my cute jeans, my adorable yellow New Balance flats and a t-shirt. To make my point clear: I looked adorable. My hair was even braided on the side. I walked down the street and glanced over to The French Press as I passed. Never have I seen that many attractive men in one place at the same time. Well, I could just go there today. I wouldn't have to walk in the heat any further... No! I won't do it! My heart lies at Handlebar. So I continued my walk and set up shop at Handlebar. I only had two dollars in my purse, but I was longing for a cappuccino. Dag nabbit.

"Hey, Ashlee. How's it going today," Aaron greeted me as usual.

"It's going well. You cut your hair! It looks good," I complimented him.

"Oh, thanks. Do you want your usual today," he asked.

"Actually, I only have two dollars, so..."

"You can get anything you want. Don't worry about the money," he reassured me.

I didn't want to take advantage of his kindness though.

"Coffee is $2, right? I'll just get a drip."

"Are you sure," he asked. "You want room for soy though, right?"

Kim called over from the espresso machine, "How's your training going?"

Kim and Aaron make a point of knowing their customers. Not only do they know their drink orders, they also know about their history, their passions, what gets them out of bed every morning... I love that! They do an excellent job of becoming a part of people's lives.

I set up my stationary, ready to write Nani, Sophie and Kaylee letters. Looking at my cup of plain drip coffee, I couldn't help but wish it was a cappuccino. I sighed and took the mug to my lips... only to be greeted by the most amazingly heavenly smooth cup of joe I have ever tried. Oh, Kim and Aaron... you can do no wrong, can you?

Photo courtesy of www.foodgps.com

2. Fall weather and a cozy flannel

My town isn't known for its cold weather. In fact, very rarely does the temperature drop below 60 degrees. However, since Tuesday, it's been fairly chilly. Why is this chick talking about the weather? Because I am super stoked that it has been chilly! I hate COLD weather, but there is nothing I love more than the autumn chill in the air. It gives me an excuse to wear all those flannel shirts I own and scarves and boots and sweaters. I want to get married in the fall. I want fresh, colorful leaves trailing behind my white dress. I want a red flannel over my shoulders while I'm waiting to walk down the isle to my Mr. Wonderful. There is just something about the fall that makes me cheerful from my fingers to my toes. It must be all the pumpkin pie and chai tea (neither of which I have had this year... that's bizarre).

Okay, so the idea was not mine originally, but I adore it!
Photo courtesy of Ciara Richardson Photography
The colder weather is also better for running. Brisk air fills my lungs and somehow it feels fresher and lighter than the heat of a 90 degree day on the trails. I can wear a long-sleeve dry-wicking shirt with my running tights and I am perfectly content. Also, I don't feel like I need to find shade as often because the heat is not overwhelming. I could adventure all day long. Last Tuesday, I totally did that. I started my run at the base of Cold Springs, but decided to cut over to Tangerine Falls. The water was all dried up and I noticed a path I had never seen before. It cut down across the water bed and up through the hills. I followed it for 5 miles or more before the trail became overgrown and abandoned. I followed it some more. Up rocks, across the dried-up creek bed, under and over branches... it was so serene and peaceful. I didn't want to leave. I love the fall.

By the way, in case you didn't know, today is flannel day. "Every day is flannel day," was the response I got from two of my dearest friends, Nani and Tucker. Yeah, I know this, guys, but today is the day of flannel. Last Saturday, Josh and I were catching up and talking about my weird observations of absurd, made-up holidays when he reminded me of Thursdays and flannel days. It went something like this:

Ashlee: who do you think i am?

Josh: ashlee (last name omitted just in case of weirdos) inventor of odd holidays
in example flannel thursday

Ashlee:omg!!!! i totally forgot about flannel thursday!!!!
how did i forget about flannel thursday!?!??!????


Josh:dork


That was the best day ever. It was college, junior year. Rebecca and I were living in Brazil. No, not the real Brazil. Brazil in South America. No, not the real South America... oh, nevermind. Being Oregon girls, Rebecca and I decided to combine our love for being happy and wearing flannel and we created flannel day! If you were lucky enough to know me back then, you got to listen to my text tone with Rebecca saying "Flannel Day" in a really horribly nerdy voice. Loooove.


Okay, well, I will only bore you with two things because I know all y'all are busy. But there you go. Those are my favorite things today.

2 comments:

  1. It's been months since I've been on Blogger and I really shouldn't be right now because I have my exam tomorrow, but... you tricked me into it by tagging me in the post on Facebook and then referencing flannel haha. Couldn't resist.
    It just made me so nostalgic to read this! It was so fun living with you in Brazil. Can't wait to stay with you again in a few short weeks! We should go flannel shopping.

    ReplyDelete