Friday, November 9, 2012

RICE, Saltines and a Hot Date

The lights from my headlamp and knuckle lights created odd silhouettes on the pavement as I ran down the dark street. I had been jogging for almost 3 hours. I say jogging because I didn't feel like I was pushing. My stride was strong as determination and drive seared through my Brooks Pure Cadence shoes. I had planned to start right after work at 7:15, but Amanda needed a ride home. Thirty minutes after my original goal starting time, I finally laced up my shoes, took in a Hammer Gel and pounded the cement.

Immediately, I began trying map my route in my mind. If I go through town, I'll run into homeless people. Tyler and I did that last week, but he was with me, so I felt safe... I could run out to Cosy's to go see Renee, but then I have to run through the sketchy part of town. I have my pepper spray, but I don't want to risk it... I could go north, but it is so poorly lit and a man was killed out there two years ago... Gosh... I guess I will just do my regular route... In Wyoming, we worry about bears and cougars. Here, we worry about homeless people and drunk college students. I had two cars full of college kids yell and swerve to try to scare me. Yeah, that's a good way to end up in jail, boys. I found myself wishing Grylls was still in town to keep me company.

My route involved a number of climbs. The hills feel easy now that I've been spending more time on the trails. And rock climbing has helped make me more aware of my surroundings. I definitely felt on edge in the darkness though. Every rustle in the nearby brush made me tense up and prepare for flight or fight. On my third climb of the evening, three hours into my run, I could feel a tender spot start to rise up in the back of my left leg. I slowed my pace, hoping that would ease the pain; unfortunately, less than 5 minutes later, I found myself walking the pain out. When I texted Mavel and my family to let them know my location, the throbbing got worse. It spread from my hamstring to my IT Band. Grrrrrr....

9:57 PM. I had 3 minutes to get to the gym before it closed. I was still over a mile and a half away. It wasn't going to happen. My water supply was out though and I was thirsty. Once again, I pulled out my phone, but this time I text Doug to ask if I could stop by and grab some water. When I arrived, he was full of life.

"Let's go," he said after chugging his protein shake.

"Let's go where," I asked.

"Running! I need to get my cardio in!" He hop stepped side-to-side as if he was about to take a kick-boxing class.

"You're going to run with me?" I was a bit surprised.

"Yeah, let's go!"

So we ran back to my house and finished my 19 miles. We talked politics. We talked friends. We talked about girls (his girls, of course). Doug is such a wonderful friend; he is always brimming over with energy. It was great to have someone there taking my mind off my pain (though, I could still feel the twinge throughout the run.

That night, I put my $200,000 education to use and rested, iced, compressed and elevated my leg while watching Hart of Dixie on my cell phone til one AM. The next morning, I taught cycle at 5:30AM, but I took it eas(ier) so I wouldn't aggravate the injury. I had woken up feeling ill- stuffy nose and no energy- so after cycle, I came home, cancelled my other classes for the day and slept until I had to go into the running store. I figured I would teach Pure Awesomeness after work, but when I walked into my house to grab dinner, my body was wasted. Lauren (bless her heart) agreed to sub, so I ate a package of Saltines, my wonderfully amazing housemate made me tea and I slept hard.

This morning, I woke up totally energized and ready to go! I taught cycle at 5:30AM and followed it with an easy trail run to test the leg (=my hot date with Running). There were a few hills that bugged it, but overall, I think I'm recovering nicely! This is the first time I've been willing to cancel classes due to illness (other than the time I had the stomach virus) and it totally paid off! Running and I had a wonderful date to make up for our "fight" on Tuesday night. Ahh... Running. He beats me up and I always come back. It's sad, really. But I know he loves me and I will never regret my time spent with him, even if it leaves me limping.

No comments:

Post a Comment