Friday, April 27, 2012

Hillbillies, Horseshoes and ADHD

Over a year ago, I was training for my first half marathon. This required me to put in a lot of mileage exploring my neighborhood and the surrounding area. Behind my house, I found a pathway in the dirt that looked like it led to the cliffs overlooking the ocean. I was tempted to pull an Indiana Jones on the trail, but I was running alone and didn't have my phone. My parents have taught me the importance of safety, so I turned around and decided to take a different route until I had a partner in crime to attempt the path.
For fifteen months, I have thought about that path... where did it lead? What adventures awaited me on the dusty trail? It haunted my thoughts, but I was just too scared of discovering the unknown alone.

Last night, work was cancelled, so Mavel and I made plans to meet up after my swim. I convinced her to run with me and I knew exactly where I would take her! You guessed it: The abandoned path.

I've lived in my house for two years now and had no idea that I literally lived within a five minute walk to the prettiest beach in town. The path unknown leads to several running trails overlooking the Pacific Ocean, a rope swing and a quiet, peaceful beach. Fear alone had kept me from this paradise!


My first instinct was: "Well, this must be a sign that I'm not supposed to move. I had no idea this was here! Think of all the other places I have yet to discover!" I was excited, but something pulled my heart in another direction and placed a counter thought in my head as I collected sea glass off the shore. I had just found my favorite spot in town, but it had been there all along... it was fear that kept me from this adventure, from the excitement, from the joy and from the discovery. What if fear of the unknown was keeping me from moving to Wyoming and some great adventure was awaiting me there?

I went home and prayed about it, drank on it, cried on it, texted about it, talked about it then prayed over it some more. My prayers were for God to shut the doors if it wasn't meant to be. I fell asleep texting my best friend Dana and praying about it. Today, I was ready to decide to stay in my town, but God surprised me by opening more doors instead of closing them.

Long story short, I'm putting all faith in God and moving to Wyoming in three weeks. Do I feel 100% at peace with my decision? No, not at all. But when I trust God, I feel at rest. Only when I think of everything I'm giving up do I begin to choke up and stress out and sob uncontrollably. Did it help that the boys at the gym gave me crap about it all through class? No, because I want to stay. I don't want to say goodbye to good coffee, warm beaches and my friends and clients. When I think about my 12:15 cycle class, I fall apart at the seems. I don't want to leave them. But I know God has big plans for me. For now, please be excited for me. In three months, please ask me to return to my home here.

Guys... I'm moving to Wyoming.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you Ashlee! You are so strong and I know you are making such a difficult decision but God will use you to make a huge difference in the lives of all you work with! I'm so excited for you, and even more importantly, seeing you in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You already know I think this opportunity is going to be fantastic for you! I'm bummed to be apart from you, but I'm excited to see you spread your wings and embrace the unknown =)

    ReplyDelete