Monday, April 15, 2013

A Wise Fish Once Told Me

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, swimming, swimming.

It was a sad day for America, but every day has its pluses. Shall I start with the good news or the bad news?

Good news it will be.

This was taken at 9:30AM... It snowed for another 7 hours after this

After a long day of dental work and coffee drinking while watching the snow fall, I decided it was time to get back into the water. Since it had been snowing all day long, I threw on my new bikini and covered up with booty shorts and a thick sweatshirt then wiggled into my Birkenstocks. Okay... so I may not have packed for Oregon well. I pulled up to the club and tried to keep the cold white fluff away from my toes as I shuffled my feet to the front door. Unlike my pool in California, the gym here heats the pool room. I shed my clothing and looked down to find I still had some definition to my abdominal region. I did a joyful dance as I thought to myself, "I've still got it", then I stood at the end of the middle lane and asked if the gentleman would mind splitting.

Scofield keeping me company next to the fireplace
With a pull buoy in between my legs, I did a 600-yard warm-up then followed it with a 1150-yard workout and 250-yard cool down. My balance was so off and it felt strange not to kick. I tried to add the kick at one point, but with a flexed foot, I felt like a flounder flopping about on a pool deck. Typically, I hate swimming, but I was so excited to be doing something with my body, that I forgot about the dullness of the activity and savored the moment.


Now, onto other news... This morning, my friend Dan texted me to let me know he had finished Boston in 2:50. Fifteen minutes later, I was sitting at a restaurant and the news popped on displaying the bombings at the marathon. Frantically, I checked in with all of my friends who were there competing; everyone I knew was safe. A few people were not so lucky today. I cannot even imagine being in Boston today. There are no words to describe the chaos, sadness and turbulence that is happening due to these bombings. One thing to keep in mind though, it takes a catastrophe to bring people together, but as soon as we start blaming others, we fall apart.


2 comments:

  1. Oh phew! When I heard of the bombing, I thought of you and yes, you are safe!!! I had to check your blog to see. then I thought you are safe otherwise my friend Amy would have told me. Thanks to God you weren't in that marathon!! So happy you are safe and sound and had a good day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilda! I had a lot of friends at the event, so it was a scary day, but everyone I know is home and safe. It is still incredibly sad though. Athletes are the wrong group to attack though; we come back with a vengeance!

      Delete