Monday, April 22, 2013

The Man in the Suit and Tie

I distinctly remember the first time I met him. He was standing tall next to his car, cell phone up to his ear, sunglasses on like he owned the parking lot. His tie accented his suit and his shoes were polished. The driver's door and backdoor were both open and music was blaring from the speakers; as he spoke on the phone, he propped his body up with his elbow on the top of his driver's door and nodded me over. His cockiness was strangely attractive, yet incredibly annoying.


"My car is such a mess," was one of the first things he said to me. I climbed in anyway and we made our way over to BevMo to look for his family-owned whiskey company: Templeton Rye. "First impressions mean everything. If you don't look good all of the time, you won't make a good first impression and that's the only thing that really matters," he informed me.

I began to rethink my wardrobe choice: Lucky jeans, black fitted tank top from Banana Republic, Patagonia insulated jacket and TKees flipflops with a white watch to top it all off. I had been wearing glasses that day, which left a noticeable mark on the bridge of my nose. The more I thought about it, the more I realized I didn't care what this man or anyone else thought, so I shrugged it off.

As time has passed though, I have come to really appreciate Blake. I won't downplay him; he is definitely an arrogant man. Something about his pompousness inspires me though. Blake knows what he wants and what he deserves and he does not stop until he gets it. The man is a sport fanatic and claims that he would be a terrific coach, but doesn't want to wait to make the big bucks. He would rather be wealthy now, so he watches every sporting event he can when he's not selling dental supplies. Determination, arrogance, passion... all of these qualities help Blake achieve anything he sets his mind to. He tells it how it is and he never settles for anything less than the best. With Blake, you had better give 110% or you are cut from the team. As Vanilla Ice wisely put it, "Anything less than the best is a felony."

Last week, Blake asked me what my opinion on dieting was. He wanted to lose an inch or so off of his already-chiseled midsection. I'll be honest, people ask me questions like this on a daily basis. Usually though, the people who ask have no intention of sticking to the workout plan I create for them or the meal plan I customize. With Blake, I know he will not falter. I saw his request of designing him a workout program and suggesting a meal plan as an open invitation. Since I will be sitting in bed inactive for 15 or more weeks, the last thing I want to do is pack on a pound or more per week. Although I cannot participate in the workout plans I will be daily sending his way, I can participate in the food portion of the plan: Cut out any processed food and stick only to vegetables, nuts, fruits and meats. Yes, friends, that means no veganism for me.

So raise your glass (of water, of course) and let's toast: To Blake, for being an inspiration and a source of motivation and accountability. Glad you're in my life, friend!


Tbe day we played the ugly face game. Obviously, he won.





2 comments:

  1. I like how you described Blake the first time you saw him. He looked so gracious and dignified. Was that the reason you got attracted to him? Haha! Oh well, I think wearing a suit and tie was really his forte. He has his way of carrying himself with those outfits!
    Sheila Henderson @ Suit Yourself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly, Sheila, I have never seen Blake as anything more than a friend. He is an extraordinary friend, but we are polar opposites.
      How do you know him?

      Delete