Sunday, November 17, 2013

How To Impress a 13-Year-Old

Asking questions is my M.O. If you find yourself sitting alone at a table with me, get ready for a job interview, because that is what talking to me feels like. What no one believes is that I am incredibly shy! It's true! Put me in a room with multiple people who know each other and I'm the odd duck then watch me squirm. 


I have not led a small group since I was in college, but after moving back to Oregon this year, I decided I wanted to be a YoungLife leader. Remembering my experiences with it in high school and college, happiness filled my thoughts. I found the school I wanted to get involved with and joined the team! Soon, I had my own group of six freshman girls to mentor.

Our first meeting was intimidating. The six girls in my group are cute, skinny volleyballers. They were all dressed exceptionally well when I walked into the coffee shop in my sweaty Patagonia and stinky running tights. My hair was pulled back and I could feel a blister forming on the back of my heel. Suddenly I wished I had waited to do my run after meeting up with the ladies.

Sitting down at the table, I fumbled for conversation topics: "So... what classes are you taking... how was the volleyball season this year... Uhhh... Uhmmmm... What type of coffee do you drink?" Okay, so it wasn't that bad, but it sure felt like it!

I have realized something about myself: I am intimidated by younger people! With people my age and older, conversation flows pretty well. I can be myself and not try to impress anyone. With younger individuals, I feel like I have to prove myself so they will think I am cool.


So how do you impress a thirteen-year-old popular girl? Yeah... I have no idea. But if all y'all have any suggestions on topics or ways to have them open up to you, please feel free to shoot them my way!

2 comments:

  1. Best Advice: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jEfbu-3qX78/TyWKWOMttKI/AAAAAAAAAWU/hl2aQ7F8GBE/s1600/tumblr_lf4i8n90Gk1qf013to1_400.png

    ReplyDelete