Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Progress Report

Where am I? I guess I should give all y’all an update. You probably have noticed all the photos I’ve been posting from my trail runs. Yes, I have been running. Hip hip hooray! Unfortunately, it is not without pain. AND I still have to see my superhero physical therapist three times a week for some breaking down of the scar tissue, some strengthening exercises and some stretching… oh, and did I mention a lot of pain and “I hate you, Jason”’s, because that definitely happens, too. It’s an endearing hate though. I tell him I hate him when he really is doing my body good. Actually, when he is doing my body best, I hate him the most. Funny how that works!


But all the pain and hate is worth it; want to know why? Because I am running! The doctor said I would never be able to run again. I quit my jobs, moved out of my apartment, left my family and friends in Santa Barbara and started a new life simply because I was told it was the end of my running career.


I’ve always been stubborn. Tell me I can’t do something and I will prove you wrong! I guess that was the drive behind getting back into running. It has been a really long, really difficult journey, but I have been so blessed along the way. I have made new friends, challenged my body in ways I forgot it could be challenged, explored new parts of the country and improved my form (I hope!). Obviously, I have a long way to go. In fact, I can’t even go on a long run without taking walking breaks. My foot still cramps up every time I put a shoe on. There are many restrictions that go along with having an injury. There are even movements in yoga that I cannot complete due to limited ROM in my ankle, but I am still so grateful for the strength I have.



Thank you for all of your prayers, letters, e-mails, gifts and support. This has definitely been the best, yet most difficult year of my life and I am looking forward to ending 2013 with a bang!


No comments:

Post a Comment