Monday, November 4, 2013

Sunscreen is Funscreen!

Ten years ago, when I was just 16 years old and the world revolved around me, I made a life-changing mistake. It was 2003 and my friends were going up to Mt. Bachelor to hit the slopes. I had just gotten my season pass and was anxious to put it to use. We arrived at the mountain before the lifts were even operating, anxious for a good day of fresh powder. The sky was overcast, so I decided to forego the sunscreen. Cold weather, no sun in the sky... those conditions don't call for sunscreen, do they?

That evening, after snowboarding from 9am to 4pm, my friends and I settled into my parents' hot tub. My dad came out and demanded I come inside. "Ashlee, we need to talk," he said in his stern, no-nonsense tone. Six pairs of eyes stared at me. Most of those eyes belonged to boys. Was dad mad that I had brought home five boys to hang out in his hot tub? Could he be upset that three of those five were wearing his swim trunks?

Fortunately, the site of my cherry-red face distracted him from those facts. The UVB rays had not only reddened my face, but caused my chipmunk cheeks to blister. The heat from the hot tub had not helped my cause. The rest of the night was spent pouring gobs of aloe vera on my face. I looked like the creature from the black lagoon.

When I saw my dermatologist the next day, he informed me I had second-degree burns. I spent the next 2 months with a goggle sunburn line, a peeling face and a bruised ego.


Thank you, Google.com, for a perfect example of me in male form
Just because the temperatures have started to drop does not mean your risk of sunburn have also gone down. There are several preventitive measures you can take to keep your skin looking flawless.

1. Sunscreen is funscreen. Growing up, I would attend surf camp every summer and every single year, my counselor would remind us of this. It may seem like a pain to apply it and wait fifteen minutes before beginning activity, but the long-term benefits are so worth that extra effort!

At high altitudes, UV rays are stronger than at lower altitudes. During the winter, due to the reflection off of snow, exposure to UV rays is strong, too. It is important to stay safe and apply an even greater SPF if you work or live at a high altitudes.

Did you know that we even sell sunscreen at Rescue Response Gear! It's true! Ask your salesperson about Coppertone, Bullfrog or one of the many other sun protection brands we carry!

2. Cover your scalp! CMC makes a great product called the "Sunbrero". It is a rim that attaches to your helmet and protects your face, neck and ears from the sun's rays. It is designed specifically for your helmet, so it clips on and won't get in your way while you are working. Keep it classy and keep looking sassy with the sunbrero!



www.rescueresponse.com
3. While on the job, it is difficult to control your sun exposure during the workday, but between the hours of 10am to 4pm, the UV rays are strongest. If you can, try to work in a more protected or shaded area during these hours and save the exposed areas for earlier or later in the day!

Remember: It is your skin and your health! We can provide the tools you need to keep your skin milky white, but you must take the actions to prevent sun damage! Learn from my mistake and don't make an irreversible decision to forego protection. C'mon, you should be smarter than a sixteen year old snowboard chick!


2 comments:

  1. I had an experience like this! I was in Tahoe during the summer, and thought that tanning oil had protection in it. Ha! Got blisters ALL over my body. It was the worst sun burn I've ever had in my life.

    Lesson learned!

    Miss youuu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw man! The worst!

      I miss you! So excited for your Africa trip!

      Delete