Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Bad News

Warning: Mom, Dad, Rich, Greg and anyone else who cares about my knee problems, stop reading here.
Everyone else, welcome to my world of pain. (Insert evil laugh)

Bad, bad, bad news. I went on a run in the rain this morning. I have 5 days until my half marathon, so I thought I could run an hour easy run, maybe get 6 miles in. I started at the track... to boring and wet (it was raining). I got on the treadmill... that was a mistake. My knee! Shoot! "Maybe I will run outside and get wet," I thought. Outside I went. I wanted to get some hill work in. Oooo... bad idea! "I can't run. My knee is driving me insane. I'll walk a little." Walk. Run. Walk. Run. Jog. Walk. Walk. Walk. Run? Walk. Yikes. I hobbled back to work and got ready to meet with my first client. I iced my knee while I waited. Hmm... What to do? One year ago, I was in this same predicament: Do I compete in the race or rest? Last year it was due to a nasty flu bug, but this year it's an injury. I think the San Dieguito Half Marathon is scared of me...

Here is the plan... I will rest for the remainder of this week. So far I have obeyed my body. I had lunch with my parents then began a new painting instead of swimming before work. We will see what tomorrow holds. I will teach circuit tonight, but I will go easy. Tomorrow, cycle will not hold any work in power zone 5. It may be an aerobic or muscular endurance day.

I will stretch, I will strengthen, I will foam roll. And Sunday? On Sunday, I will go. I will see. And I will conquer. Get ready, San Dieguito. My knee won't hold me down for too long.

Okay, Mom, Dad, Rich and Greg... you can read from this point on. Don't look up!

1 comment:

  1. Rest a lot and get better!!! Please!!! San Dieguito Half Marathon and San Diego Zoo... Here we come!

    ReplyDelete