Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Like A Cat Up A Tree

When we first got my cat Spaz, she chased a squirrel up a tree and couldn’t get down. We had to call the firefighters to come get the cat out of the tree. This morning, I felt like Spaz, hopeless and scared up in the tree. Nash and I had plans to meet at 6:00AM at El Diablo/ in Maui (can you tell I haven’t named it yet?). My bed felt so good. I snoozed my alarm for 45 minutes before I finally crawled out and made my BirdRock coffee and chomped on a banana. There I was, ready to go. I had my things packed for work, grabbed my phone and ran down the stairs, slamming the front door behind me. “Oh…. Dumb,” I thought. Yes, my keys were not in my hand. Instead, the coffee mug had taken their place. “Well, hmm…. What should I do? Maybe I can break in through the kitchen window?”

Climbing the gate up to my rooftop is not an easy task, but this wasn’t the first time I had done it. At least this time I wasn’t wearing skinny jeans, cowboy boots and a silk top. I pulled myself up over the downstairs neighbor’s room and scaled my way to the window, noticing the molding on top of her roof, wondering if it would give way and I would wind up in bed with her… that would be awkward. I tore the screen out and tried to open the window. Of course it wouldn’t budge. Thank goodness I had decided to stick my phone in my pocket just in case.

6:10AM… TEXT MAVEL: “Are you awake?” Response: “Hi! Yeah, I’m at work!” Me: “Do you have your keys? I’m stuck on the roof.” Response: “Oh no! No, Andrew dropped me off.”

FAIL.

6:12AM… TEXT ANNAGRACE AND JUDY: “Are you awake?” Response: none.

FAIL.

6:20AM… CALL JOSH: “I’m sorry to wake you, but I’m stuck on my rooftop. Will you come save me?”

CA-CHING! Third time's a charm.

So, as I waited for Josh to come to my rescue, I watched the sunrise. It was beautiful. I would love to build a balcony and watch it rise over the ocean every day. Maybe then I could hide a spare key on that balcony. During my time of sunrise enjoyment, Josh pulled up and shook his head.

“How exactly do you want me to help you,” he asked.

“Just make sure I don’t stab my face out with the fence on my way down,” I pleaded. “I can’t see anything and there is nothing to hold onto.”

So he guided my feet into their proper positioning and I was safely on the ground soon enough. He dropped me off at the Jankes’ house where I waited outside until they responded to my text! Yay! After getting my spare key from them, I walked home and got in my car to go run. I didn’t want to risk being late to work, so I did my speed work on the treadmill (ugh!). 2 mile warm-up, 4x300m 5k race pace with 100m jogs in between, 2x400m 5k race pace with 100m jogs in between, 2x800m 5k race pace with 100m jogs in between and a 1-mile cool-down.

2-mile warm-up: 20:11
300m’s: 1:39, 1:31, 1:22, 1:29
4oom’s: 1:58, 2:00
800m’s: 3:55, 3:49
1-mile cool down: 8:50

During my lunch break, I met up with Carol for a cool (and when I say cool, I mean ice cubes in the refrigerator cold) ocean swim. Yes, it is mid-February and Carol and I are swimming in the ocean. Sometimes I wonder if I am crazy… then I remember that I am insane. We got in the water and I panicked. “So cold, so cold, so cold! Can’t breath! Ahh,” I thought to myself as I whacked the water with my arms and legs like a mosquito struggling to get out of a Jell-O mold.

“How you doin’?” Carol asked, looking back.

“Great! Hey,” I started. “If you want to go on and just turn around when you’re ready, I’m TOTALLY cool with that!”

“Oh, I’m good.”

“No, really, TOTALLY cool…”

Then I stopped panicking. I focused on my form. Breathe, face in…. AHHHHH! So cold! Can’t get my breath out! Panic! Panic! No! Stop! Breathe, stroke 1, 2, breath 3.  And there it was. I totally relaxed. I didn’t think about the recent shark sighting down the coast or the fact that my toes were numb (okay, maybe I thought about those things a little bit); instead, I realized that I was having so much more fun being out in the ocean than I had ever had in the pool. The rest of the swim, I spent in total bliss.

When I got home, I showered off, hopped on my bike and rode out to Katie’s house for a home-cooked meal and prayer. It was so good! Great time of fellowship and yumminess before work.

Yesterday, my cycle classes were all fun and intense! I kept the members in zones three and five with short recoveries. The best part of my classes is the smiles on the member’s faces when they finish. The harder I make the class, the more they enjoy it and that is so awesome to see! I put my iPhone on shuffle for my first class and loved the mix so much, I just used it for the others.

During strength class yesterday morning after my first cycle class, my hip flexors were exhausted. I felt like I couldn't finish any of the moves. Thank goodness Sophia was there! Fortunately, the class went by quickly and I rushed home, changed and got ready to hike a 2500 elevation climb with Ben. I think that might have been the highest peak I’ve done (not positive about that), but I had great company, awesome conversation and gorgeous views. Ben admitted that he didn't think I would be as fast as I was. Teaches him to wear Chocos to hike! Although, he's hardcore like that, so I don't think that bothered him. 

I ended the evening by making Richard do stadiums after doing my evening cycle class. Soon, he is going to be tougher than me! … oh wait, he already is! ;)

1 comment:

  1. You should have called the fire department to help rescue you... or if you had a lot of spare time, call me and wait for me to come up that evening :)

    I'm glad you figured everything out and were able to get your day running.

    I cant imagine running stadiums after a long day of running, biking, and locking myself out of my house.

    You're a machine!

    ReplyDelete