Monday, February 20, 2012

More Than Just a Running Shoe

Every moment of our lives, we are faced with decisions we must make: What to eat for breakfast, whether you should go back inside the house to grab the one item you forgot, who to say hello to, what to order at the coffee shop... the list goes on. For this example, I will use running shoes.

Say I have a pair of Brooks running shoes that I absolutely love. Sure, they are starting to lose their cushion and color due to the fact that I have logged hundreds of miles on them, but I like them. I am happy and satisfied with them. They feel good, look good and are there for me when I need them. They have supported me throughout the miles, helped me keep running, inspired me, motivated me... I may be ready to move on from these shoes, but I still love the memories that I have had with and am still making with those shoes.

One day, I realize it's time to take a break from running. I say goodbye to my Brooks, but I'm not quite ready to move on to the next thing. I decide I want to focus on something else for awhile. Maybe I will take up rock climbing! Maybe I will use the money I would have spent on new shoes to go on vacation. The options are endless and I am so excited for this stage of my life!

Then a new shoe presents itself to me. Imagine the  most ideal pair of shoes; these are the shoes I've only dreamed of. In high school, I made a list of the best qualities possible in a running shoe. On this list were several traits that no one shoe should be able to possess, but somehow this shoe promises all of these and more. You know your parents would approve of these shoes. Your best friend is in love with these shoes and she hasn't even seen them! You decide to try them on... oh no... they feel great, but something in you tells you that you're not ready for that ideal shoe. You still long for the adventures of rock climbing and traveling and being without a running shoe. But what if you give up on a great running opportunity?

...Obviously, this is about more than just a running shoe.


Back to the training world...

Thursday, I taught aqua aerobics and cycle. I made my cycle class due the entire thing standing once again and they were amped!!! About a third of the way into class, Country Girl by Luke Bryan came blasting through my Iphone. "Uhoh," I warned my class. "I may start dancing soon." They laughed, probably hoping it wouldn't happen, but happen it did. "Got a little boom in my big truck. Gonna open up the doors and turn it up..." Aw man! Great song!

After class, I went on a trail run on my old college stomping grounds. It felt so good to be up there again, looking over the ocean. Sometimes I wish I was still in college. I dropped by my favorite professor's office to see if he was in, but find him, I could not. I finished my run, logging 6 miles. That makes 20 miles for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday combined.


After the run, I did a quick swim. When I say quick, I mean quick. After 45-minutes, I was over it. I had not brought a routine with me, so I was doing mostly pulling and freestyle and I just was not feeling it. I got out early and went to El Diablo/Maui to meet up with Richard. We did stadiums and Pilates.

Friday morning I had my running strength class with Drea. For a second week, I had a really hard time getting out of bed and getting to class. I don't know what it is, but I have been so tired this week! The class was difficult, simply because it hurts to put any body weight on my cut-up right forearm. But I got through it. I was going to go swimming, but I decided I would rather go home and try to clean a little. Cleaning turned into eating a big bowl of Bob's Red Mill Organic rolled oats while watching the second season of Prison Break. So much for a clean house.

I taught aerobics and balance then met up with Sophia to lift weights and eat Backyard Bowls. After we finished, I needed to get my bike ride in, so I rode out to the beach and back, working on speed skills. I had just enough time to decide what to wear to sushi that night and get to work. After three classes, Ben picked me up at work and took me out to one of my all-time favorite sushi places. It was delicious! When we finished our rolls, we went down to the beach and walked along the sand until the time got late and I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore.

Saturday morning, I taught then met up with my Tri group for a bike ride. We've had another woman join! Julie is her name and she is a doll! I am very excited for our new addition! It was a quick hour of bike riding along the beach, which we bricked with a 1.5 mile run and I followed with a swim. I swam 1200 yards before I decided I was over it and got out. I'm still in Base 2, which means Build 1 starts next week. Once the build period starts, I won't be able to just stop a workout. If I can give up early now, I might as well, especially if I'm not enjoying it.

Jameisha and I met up at the bike shop so I could try on my new kit for my tri team and she could look at bikes. We met Adrian who works there and helped us out. He is going up to Oregon next month to ride! I'm so jealous! He told me I should try mountain biking, which I said no to, but you never know... I could love it.

My new tri suit fit
After ordering my suit, Ben and I grabbed coffee and walked along the beach to watch the sunset. The weather was a little gloomy, so I didn't expect much of a sunset. I was astonished when Ben interrupted me in the middle of my story to point out the sky. Wow! It was one of the most vibrant pink sunsets I had ever witnessed. It was beautiful and I was so glad that I was taking time to enjoy it.

Once it got dark, we drove over to REI and explored. Mmmmm  I love REI. I bought some new Hammer Gels and Honey Stinger blocks. Yes, I am a happy girl. More sugar for my sugar jar!


Yesterday was long run day! I met up with Richard after work and we ran hill repeats and stairs for five miles. As soon as we finished, Mavel and I met up for a 10-mile run along the cliffs. It was the most ideal day for a run. I felt strong the entire way! We averaged an 8:44 pace, which is faster than I ran my race last weekend! I didn't feel tired at all! It was a fantastic run with a wonderful friend! I'm so glad I got her to go running again! In the past six days, I have logged 30.5 miles. 19.5 miles to go by the end of the month!



2 comments:

  1. Keep it up Ashlee!!!

    Are you close to your 100mile/month goal for february yet? I mean, 20 miles in 3 days, thats intense.

    Im working away form home this week so I wont be able to get to the gym so Im gonna focus on running all week. Let's see if i can catch you this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am soooo close! I will be there by the end of the week, I think.

      Alright... challenge accepted.

      Delete