Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Final Countdown

Patiently I wait for Sloan at Starbucks. I sit here drinking my unsweetened passion fruit tea and venti iced water, trying to stay hydrated, but this heat and my influenza have really taken it out of me. Water, water... I need more water. Like a camel in a desert, minus the extra hump for liquid storage. Water, water. Need more water. I almost hope it rains tomorrow, but that would just be miserable. I pray it's a little chilly though. No wind. I don't need a breeze to keep me moving, only if it's at my back, helping me climb those darn hills.


Driving up to SLO this morning, I reflected on the past six months of training and some of my favorite memories. There were Friday nights with Josh and Sophia indoor cycling and trying to keep my balance as Josh playfully pushed on my shoulder. Haha. We competed to see who could get the highest wattage. Now that I look back, none of us did that well, though we were all impressed with Josh's 400-something. That was back then; now it's probably double that amount. That man is strong. We rode hard. Sophia left first. Then Josh wanted to quit, but I made him keep going. Finally, he refused to continue. Seeing as he was my ride, I was forced to finish early. We put all those calories burned plus some back in our bodies when we decided on Panda Express for dinner, his treat. Followed by raspberry sorbet and half a movie? Oh man, dating Josh was not the healthiest time of my life, but I loved every minute of it.


I remember driving up to the lake to practice the bike course with Sloan. He taught me so much, like how to climb a hill correctly, when to stay in the big chainring, etc. We laughed about animals trying to commit suicide, refueled with breakfast burritos, talked about relationships and life decisions. It was one of the most difficult, but best rides of my life. It was on that ride that I questioned whether to continue competing in triathlons or to take a break. Honestly, I don't think I will ever take a break.


Overtraining. I remember doing that quite often. Best time was a Saturday after work when I was supposed to run, but found myself with James, Christine and Dani, competing in a mini-tri. We swam in the frigid March ocean waters, rode hard in the sun and ran past the lagoon. It was the first time I ever worked out with Christine and I'm sad I didn't do it earlier. Her mom and James kept telling me I needed to contact her to train, but she intimidated me so much. Here she was, this great athlete; how was I going to keep up? Now we've trained together a few times and I can't think of anyone who challenges me yet works at the same level as I do the way she does. I can't wait to get back from Wyoming and get back to training with her.


Of course, I cannot forget the half marathon last February with Weston and Sophia. That was one of the best moments of my life. We ran hard and we all succeeded with a new PR. All of our training and commitment paid off. I was so proud of my friends and so proud of myself for our accomplishments. My family was there to cheer us on. It was top 5 of the best memories of my life. Great people, supportive family, fun competition, amazing encouragement... I really have had an amazing training season.


As you know, I'm ill and my body is exhausted and I'm not very optimistic about tomorrow's race; however, Weston was right when he said the past six months have not been a waste. I have motivated people that I don't even know, my family and friends have gotten more active because of me (Dana even went to the gym... once), I have created a name for myself in the triathlon world of my town, I've discovered new passions, etc.

Last Thursday at work, I had my class hanging from the TRX and pulling their knees into their chests. "But it hurts my hands," moaned Barbara. "I'm getting calluses!"


"Awesome," I replied energetically. "Keep doing it and you'll build them up so it won't hurt anymore."


"I knew you would say that," she replied, shaking her head. I love that she knows I'm tough!


Later that day, Bente introduced me to the new membership director. She was telling the woman about what I do with my life. "Ashlee is crazy," Bente said matter-of-factly. I laughed. "No, I'm serious," she said.


"I'm planning on doing a hundred mile run next year," I told the new girl.


"No," Bente said. "She's crazier than that.


I didn't even realize Bente knew I was insane. That brightened my day.


I look at people like Alvinn, who works out approximately five hours a day and eats barely anything. Or Drea, who runs a 5:15 mile. I'm not crazy. Those people are crazy. Someday, I  hope to be that crazy.


For now, I'll just keep training. Tomorrow, I will do what I can. I will push hard and pace well. I won't overdo it, but I will still compete with myself. After all, I am there to set my own PR, not win first place. Jason made me write down my goal times. Then he took time off of every goal I set and texted them to me. "If you don't beat these times," he informed me. "You owe me dinner before you leave." Hopefully he doesn't want one as fancy as the places he took me. 


Before driving north, I made a new playlist for my race tomorrow. I decided I really hate Brittney Spears and was only using her because Summer suggested it. I don't enjoy LMFAO either. Sexy and I Know It just helped me through the hills last time I rode the course. As much as I love Local Native's Sun Hands, it's better for trail running on a lazy Sunday morning, not while trying to pummel the competition. So... here is my new playlist. These are songs that push me to go harder. swim.bike.run.harder... right?


1. Kick in the Teeth- Papa Roach
2. You're Gonna Go Far Kid- The Offspring
3. Dark Horses- Switchfoot
4. Help Is On The Way- Rise Against
5. Make Me Wanna Die- The Pretty Reckless
6. Rope- Foo Fighters
7. Fake It- Seether
8. Heart in A Cage- The Strokes
9. Suck My Kiss- Red Hot Chili Peppers
10. A Matter of Time- Foo Fighters










1 comment:

  1. GOOD LUCK!!!

    Interesting fact... some of the best performances of some athletes' careers have come when they were ill or not personally feeling 100% I know you are going to push yourself so hard to make up for your illness but I believe you are going to crush your goals! If you think about this race in the long run... its such a small duration of your life that you can afford to push yourself harder than you ever have because in just a few days you'll be back running and biking like nothing ever changed, except you will be so motivated that you kicked your own expectations out the door you're gonna push yourself to do even better next time!

    However... I am surprised Country Girl missed the cut on your playlist... but seriously, don't forget to press 'sync' :)

    ReplyDelete