Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Sickidy Ickidy

In the past six months, every book I've read on training for a triathlon has told me that to be a serious athlete, you have to give up everything for your training: Family, friends, holidays, junk food, relaxation, vacation... everything. So I did.

How many Friday nights did I spend working on my form in the swimming pool? Almost every one of them.

What did I do on Christmas eve? Ran for an hour and a half.

Christmas morning? Went on a bike ride.

How many times did I arrive late to church because I just had to get that bike ride in or I lost track of time while swimming in the ocean? At least a handful... maybe more.

How many relationships did I sever for my training? How many plans did I bail on because I needed an extra hour to run? I don't even want to think about it.

This Sunday is my grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary and what am I doing to celebrate? Competing in a triathlon.

And what has it gotten me? Nothing. Sure, I swim a little bit faster, bike a little stronger and run a little harder, but triathlon has been my existence for six months now. Six months, people. And I shouldn't complain, because I've loved every minute of it. There were times I didn't want to train, but I loved being a triathlete. I loved that people recognized me as an athlete.

Last night I went to bed feeling a little ill. This morning, I slept until 9AM. Yes, 9AM. I woke up miserable. I couldn't move. My body ached. My nose was stuffed. The headache started in my temples and found its way throughout my entire body. My throat was beyond scratchy. I couldn't even find the strength to get out of bed and feed myself. I laid there the entire day. What a waste of one of my last 17 days in California.

Honestly, I blame Derek. He told me I should "get sick" so I could come visit him in Bakersfield before I move. Yup, Derek, you suck.

Honestly, though, I have no one to blame but myself. I think I idolized training for Wildflower. I worshipped the god of triathlon. It became my priority and I put all other things aside. I think I've learned my lesson. Ugh. But really, God? Did you have to teach me in this way?

1 comment:

  1. I hardly think of everything you have accomplished these past six months as a "waste".

    Think about all you have accomplished, how far you have come, how you have changed and grown as a person. You continue to set new PR's, you continue to inspire those around you to be healthier and to strive to be better physically, mentally, and spiritually.

    If anything, You have accomplished more in these past six months that you may have done in other six month periods.

    Personally speaking, you have made a major impact on my life over these past six months as well... Our SB 1/2 was 6 months ago :)

    I'm really looking forward to seeing how you will continue to be awesome!

    Oh, and good luck and feel better!

    ReplyDelete