Thursday, May 3, 2012

Right to Pass Reh-Vo-Kay-Ble

My friend is a little blue today, so I thought I would cheer her up.

Sophia, this one's for you:

With only two weeks left in California, I convinced Sophia to take a day trip with me. After work last Saturday, we drove up to East Camino Cielo in search of Knapp's Castle. After researching, we discovered that it was closed for the season, so we tried to find another hike. An awesome thing happened though! We randomly drove past a trail and decided to try it out.

We got out of the car and tried to spray ourselves with my sunscreen... uhmmm spray on sunscreen in the wind? Not a good idea... I'm pretty certain none of it got onto our bodies. While Sophia sprayed, I stood behind her, hoping some of the excess would plaster itself onto my ivory body instead of fluttering away with the breeze. I was EH-xtra white and decided to wear only a sports bra (and shorts and shoes, of course) for our hike. Up we climbed.

We passed something that looked like Knapp's Castle, but it wasn't marked off, so we decided to go up and explore. Only one thing stood in our way, but Sophia couldn't quite read it to let it stop her. "Path Rev-oh-kay-ble? Reh-vo-kay-ble?" "Revocable." Sure enough, we were there! Well, if Sophia the teacher couldn't read it, I wasn't going to let it stand in between Knapp's Castle and us!

Reh-vo-kay-ble?

We made our way through the remains of Knapp's Castle, which I've been wanting to do for a very long time, then hiked for an hour down this long hill, only to have to hike back up.

Start of the trail, wondering where it will lead
Lake Cachuma



So white you can't even see my middle
It's a ghost!
 






After the hike, we drove into Solvang and got coffee and books. Yay for pretty places like Solvang.

Little known fact: I collect old Nancy Drew books.


Coffee, book on running, quirky telephone book... my kind of wonderful


When I returned from Solvang, Sophia, Evan and I met up for an evening walk on the beach.

Evan is so awesome he can create fire...
I know this blog is simple and not very exciting, but it was one of the best days I've ever had in Santa Barbara. Thank you for the memories, Sophia. I hope your day gets sunshiny wonderful!

1 comment:

  1. Your adventures always look and sound like so much fun! Omg Solvang, we need to go there for Danish days and get some Æbleskivers :) Anyways, I hope I I'll ghetto see you before you leave for your triathlon... And Wyoming.

    ReplyDelete