Monday, May 28, 2012

I'll Huff and I'll Puff and I'll Blow Your House Down

After lunch today, Sophie and I decided to hit the town. Oh, the excitement! Laundry, Opp shop and coffee! Big day on the town. On our way down the snowy hill, Sophie commented about the fact that everyone is stoked on my blog at camp. She thinks I should make it like the camp newspaper. I think it's hysterical that everyone sat around the campfire reading it last night. To be honest, I really didn't expect anyone to read it there. I mean, it's not that exciting, it just keeps me entertained and allows my friends and family back on the west coast to know what's going on in my life. I've probably lost some of my triathlon following, but I have a brand spankin' new following. Hey, I'm being flexible, like I talked about on my weapon blog... just go with it.





The other night after the free dinner in town, a few of us went to the Outlaw Saloon (Go Outlaws! Sorry, that was my high school mascot. Gotta get excited about that one). This is where Tucker and I discovered we both loved Donatello. He also informed me of his passion for cupcakes. Since his birthday is in August while he is on an expedition, I told him I would make him cupcakes if he picked up the ingredients while he was in town yesterday. Last night, I didn't have to cook dinner, so we spent the evening decorating funfetti cupcakes to look like Donatello. Okay, so they didn't look as good as I had hoped, but it was a fun experience and people ate them, so I'm assuming they were turtle-rific. Yes, I just made up a word. Get stoked!






Jeremy and Becki made me laugh today. "Oh, you will love the running trails around here," commented Becki. I'll show you some forest service roads!"

"Why not take her to the Whiskey Basin road," Jeremy suggested.

"Well, she will probably feel more comfortable seeing cars every once in awhile," she responded. Thank you for sympathizing with my fear of big furry creatures, Becki.

However, Jeremy mentioned some other big furry creatures I might want to steer clear of: "She should be worried about the people, not the bears!"  Oh Jeremy. The cowboys can't be THAT goofy, can they?

I feel like a little fish in a big pond. Except Dubois is not big. Not at all. But it's bigger than me. I am such a little goon here, but I'm stoked to be learning more every day. Mostly, I'm excited to start getting outside and exploring! The snow is melting, which is actually kind of sad, but soon enough, I'll be lacing up my Brooks Cascadias and hitting the dirt. Thanks, Nash and Nick, for hooking me up with my new trail running shoes. Can't wait to get them dirty! Miss you guys, PS.

Yesterday, while moving mattresses, Nicole and I decided to do the 15K here in town. Good! Something to look forward to! I feel like a slug, especially when working out leaves me huffing and puffing here. Okay, you know that feeling when you take months off from working out then you go straight back into it and you push maybe a little too hard? You lean forward with your hands on your knees, sucking in the cold crisp air that seems to fill the sky, but not your lungs. "C'mon, lungs! Expand! Ahhh! Need air, need air!" Well, this is almost like that. Not really, I was just being weird, BUT hiking up the hill does leave me a little winded. Going from sea level to 8,000 feet is a challenge. I get to the top and I think, "Don't let anyone be around to see me, please! They would never believe I'm an athlete!" Like yesterday... Sophie, Johan and I walked down to the classrooms. That was fine because it was downhill and all we did was talk and throw snowballs. Then I walked back up with one of the dogs, Birch. I was just cruising along, filling my lungs with fresh Wyoming air (just for you, Heather), praying that no one would come driving up the road when... OH-HOH! There's Tucker and one of the new guys, Kyle (aka Zito). Great. "Oh, hey guys," I said, trying to pull myself together. They didn't seem to notice my unsteady breathing. Thank goodness. I mean, when I think of someone huffing and puffing, I think of that fat woman from Fried Green Tomatoes. I don't want to look like a fat woman! Haha. But now they know I was huffing and puffing; so much for being discrete.


Well, time to find those three little pigs...


3 comments:

  1. Hey Ashlee,

    It looks like with your new following you're gonna be famous in two states! Look at you go!

    When is the 15k you and Sophie signed up for? Hopefully you'll e able to get in some decent training to get used to the high altitude :)

    But I have faith in you! You're gonna be setting records in no time!

    ReplyDelete